Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel swirl/surge tank.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel swirl/surge tank.

Hi,

I'm building fuel swirl pot. But i'm little bit confused about inner walls, baffle plates. Or aren't there any?

This type tank
    http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p6...duct_info.html

I was thinkgin something like this.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...23/fuelpot.jpg

Any ideas or suggestions?

Rainer

A. Graham Bell briefly discusses swirl pots in his book, Forced Induction Performance Tuning. He shows an illustration of a swirl pot without a baffle. I don't see a need for a baffle because the pressure pump is drawing from the bottom of the swirl pot. One difference between your design and Mr. Bell's is that he put the pressure pump fitting on the center of the bottom face of the swirl pot rather than on the side of the cylindrical surface. As a side note, A. Graham Bell says the tank usually should be large enough to hold 30 seconds worth of fuel.

If my scanner was functional I would scan the drawing and post it. Sorry for that.

Paul Lohr

Comment

Originally posted by pml View Post
      A. Graham Bell briefly discusses swirl pots in his book, Forced Induction Performance Tuning. He shows an illustration of a swirl pot without a baffle. I don't see a need for a baffle because the pressure pump is drawing from the bottom of the swirl pot. One difference between your design and Mr. Bell's is that he put the pressure pump fitting on the center of the bottom face of the swirl pot rather than on the side of the cylindrical surface. As a side note, A. Graham Bell says the tank usually should be large enough to hold 30 seconds worth of fuel.

If my scanner was functional I would scan the drawing and post it. Sorry for that.

Paul Lohr
      I have this book. But i saw that there weren't andy baffle plates. But i taught that they might improve fuel delivery during long lefthanders. ( car is bmw e30 with 3.2l MPower engine that need quality fuel delivery every second) I my case i had to put fittings on one side due to tank placement under the hood.
      Instead of 3 fittings like in the book, i used 4. 1) from feed pump 2) pressure pump to engine 3) fuel rail return 4) return to fuel tank

Comment

If i could put prssure pump fitting at the bottom, then there wouldn't be much need for baffle plates.

Comment

Swirl pot-- just a header tank by another name? If so, no need for baffles.

The idea behind it is to supply it with fuel all the time, via a low pressure fuel pump (or gravity if your talkin' airplanes). If it's always full there's no need for baffles, as there should be no sloshing back and forth in a full header tank.

Comment

Swirlpot overview....

Suvi
            found a pretty good swirlpot overview on a Subaru site

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1458249

hope this helps
            Regards
            Heiti

Comment

E30 engine swap....

Suvi
              could you give us more details on the engine swap on that E30?? they are a good platform with a lot of available parts.. and right now they are available at very reasonable prices at least in the US... pics too please.. if you have..
              thanks
              Heiti

Comment

This is the car

http://opentrack.tqhq.ee/forum/viewt...tid=342&page=1

Comment

Suvi
                  am afraid that my Estonian is very very rusty...(since childhood) and the picture links did not work for me... my guess is that most here are even less familiar with the language.....could you maybe post some pictures on this forum for us???
                  Thanks
                  Heiti

Comment

Here are a lot of pic's

http://www.ruus.eu/auto/m3/

And here are some of things i have done.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainersuvi

Comment

Labor of Love...

Suvi
                      that M3 must have been a labor of love!!! .... how many thousands of hours did you put into it? ..... really well done and a beautiful piece of work...
                      Looks like you had to make room, opening trans tunnel to fit the S54... pretty tight fit???
                      Also Flikr album pics.... the work that you showed would make any race shop here in the US proud....
                      Regards
                      Heiti

Comment

This M3 is not my project. I have just made some parts for it.

Comment

The pics of the car with the S54 conversion.... that was not the M3??? 2different cars? (just assumed it was the same car at different times in it's life)
                          The labor of love was about the white car that was totally disassembled with the enlarged trans tunnel....
                          Heiti

Comment

Yes this is the car. Only one car and it's M3 with S54 conversion. But i wanted to say that this is not my car and i am not the main builder. I just did some parts for it. It's truly amazing car. I always liked BMW's. Especially E30 and M series. Just raw performance and mechanics.

Rainer

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                              Suvi
                              found a pretty good swirlpot overview on a Subaru site

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1458249

hope this helps
                              Regards
                              Heiti
                              very nice thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.