Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tube notching / fishmouths

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube notching / fishmouths

What's the best way to find angle of tube for notching ?

It's been talked about here before, many times. Dig around in this link you'll probably find the answer you are looking for.

Comment

I don't know if this will help, but there is a free program called 'tube miter' online, look it up, download it.... it will print templates for miter joints on all sizes of tube up to around 3.5". It will calculate all angles, and print temps for connecting different sized tubes together of different wall thickness.

Comment

Here is a link for pipe joints, enter the numbers and thickness and just hit submit. It opens a printable page with the template on it. I have never used it myself, just came across it and thought it was worth saving.

http://www.harderwoods.com/pipetemplate.php

Good Luck

Comment

Tubemiter program

here is copy of the FREE tube miter program(runs in windows)

I had "Zip it" to upload it.

Everthing MM but it works pretty good
          Attached Files

Comment

those programs are worthless unless you are notching with a saw or a grinder. if you already know the intersection angle, you know the notch angle too. i just fit up a cage yesterday and eyeballed every notch in the car. every tube fit perfect on the first cut.

Comment

6pak,

Hope you didn't sprain your shoulder too badly, PATTING YOURSELF ON THE BACK.

That really helped the OP I'm sure.

Comment

i'm not trying to pat myself on the back. I'm just tryig to say that if i can do it, anyone can.

Comment

Here is a link to a program!
                  http://www.cobratorch.net/ttn_dxf

Comment

I use these http://www.vansantent.com/pipeMaster.htm with ,

I made a set of "jigs" one end has the tubing size I'm fabing about 8" long with the pipe master on it, then I have a second pieace of tubing " I have various lenth's" smaller so it will slide in side the first piece then U can put it in the gap, slide it apart, get your fit with the "pipe master" take it out trasfer it on to you work pieace then do the other end. it works for me. Not perfect and takes a little time but I find its easier than the programs, for the amount of tubing U will waste trying different bends,notches IMO its faster to try it, and it does not fit save it for another project and build another pieace than it is to mess around with a computer.

Comment

One thing I've found hard to find out and am still looking for info on is finding what point to go off of from a bend in tubing, since there is no edge, where do you measure from?

Comment

You can use the edge of a bending die as your mark.

If you bend your own tubing, mark where the die edge is at the start, and you'll have a reference point. I hope that helps you with your question.

Comment

Originally posted by Horns View Post
                          One thing I've found hard to find out and am still looking for info on is finding what point to go off of from a bend in tubing, since there is no edge, where do you measure from?
                          Ron Covell has an excellent video on working with tubing - goes into how to accurately use a tube bender. One thing he doesn't mention though if you change material, or even supplier, the spring back on tubing might change. Do a practice bend with each lot and keep notes.

I believe you can actually rent Covell's videos on some web sites.

Comment

$40 Holy crap!

Comment

Here is a photo demo of chop saw pipe notching, don't get no easier that this
                              Pirate 4x4 chop saw notching photo demo

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.