No announcement yet.

How to weld a car floor panel??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have actually had good results butt welding floor panels. It is a lot of work but the end result is great when you can't even tell that a floor was ever done on a car. I am no body guy but in working at a speed shop building hot rods I have came across a few cars that needed floors done. One thing that is worth its weight in gold is a spot weld drill bit! It saves a lot of work in peeling the old floor off of the floor supports and doesn't leave unneeded holes like a regular drill bit would.

As for welding it, I have never had much luck running beads. I find it a lot easier and less risk of burn through/warping when just doing a bunch of start/stop tacks in one place then moving to another corner. Use a body hammer to work the metal into place as you weld to get the edges lined up nice.

I have a picture of an old floor cut out and a new floor fitted on a 67 camaro I did like this but I am having trouble finding the finished pic. I will try to dig it up, but you couldn't tell a floor was done until you looked at it REALLY close and that was before high build primer and paint. I have never tried that hammer/dolly the welds trick mainly because it was always just me doing the work but it sounds like an awesome idea if you have two people. God knows I would have saved a ton of time, consumables and clean up from metal dust doing that instead of grinding the welds flush.
    Attached Files

Comment

Another thing that helps is heat, weight and burn proof shoes (j/k...sort of) for pushing the new floor down and making it contour correctly to the floor supports. I melted my shoes quite a bit stepping down on a floor I heated with a torch to push down and meet the floor support to spot weld it. Almost considered welding up sheet metal toe pieces lol

Comment

Working...
      X