Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

dodge 440 value?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dodge 440 value?

I have a ''78'' Dodge Powerwagon. Now parting out. any ideas as to the value of the 440 engine ? # on the block is 4006630-440-8 if that helps at all. it ran well when parked but has not ran for a few years.

The factory called late model blocks 'thin wall'. There is some evidence that this isn't true for the '76 and later blocks (those motors were used in trucks only as far as I can tell.) The blocks tend to be heavier - 230lbs bare vs. 210 or so for the old school thick wall blocks.

See:
    http://www.arengineering.com/articles/sonicbig.html

As for value, good 440 blocks are tough to find, but the market for them is thinning a bit. The factory of course makes new racing blocks (probably charging $3000 for them). I'd imagine the engine is worth a few hundred for the block. The rest would only be valuable as a replacement motor for another truck.

To be sure, see if it has a forged or cast crankshaft (look at the parting line - thin == cast, thick == forged).

Of bigger interest might be the other parts. Dana 60 rears? What about front? Big block 727 transmission with a transfer case?

Comment

I know of 3-4 440 engines complete around Maryland for 300-450

Comment

Originally posted by Hemidude View Post
        I know of 3-4 440 engines complete around Maryland for 300-450
        With steel cranks or cast? I just may happen to have a '70 Barracuda in need of a race motor. (in Maryland)

Comment

Originally posted by con_fuse9 View Post
          With steel cranks or cast? I just may happen to have a '70 Barracuda in need of a race motor. (in Maryland)
          and how would anyone know without tearing them down?

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.