Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with resto

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with resto

IM restoring my 85 high serria truck and I was kinda wondering if anyone has any advice on things that I should beef up or replace. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

2 or 4WD?

Either way, replacing the cab mounts is a must. Are you going down to the frame? Pretty good trucks to start with, plenty of parts availability, etc. I'd recommend Dynamat on the interior floorboards http://www.dynamat.com/products_auto...roduction.html and perhaps Lizzard Skin http://www.lizardskin.com/ on the undercarriage. I don't remember if the 85's had the improved hood or if they needed stiffeners to keep the hood from bending.
    Good Luck! Post Pics.

Comment

If it's 4wd then you need to brace up the frame where the steering box mounts. They sell a plate to weld on & you can also get a brace that bolts in behind the box (using the steering box bolts) & goes inwards to the center of the crossmember. This was a weak area especially if you lift it. FYI--85 body style had a good hood. Aftermarket sheetmetal parts are cheap & plentiful but find a place local as shipping will kill you on fenders & doors. Also I should have said almost all parts are available aftermarket. Just do a search on the web & you'll find a ton of suppliers for these trucks.

Comment

Almost all parts are interchangeble from 81 thru 87. I was never a big fan of those auto-locking front hubs. I would replace with a set of manual ones.

Comment

Thanks alot everyone I ment to say above that it is a 4x4. I bought 2 doors, 2 cab cornors, 2 rocker panles, 2 fenders, 2 fender wells, all OEM for $200 from my uncle All I need for the body parts is a 8' bed and tailgate. Thanks agen..

Comment

Originally posted by m.k.swelding View Post
            Thanks alot everyone I ment to say above that it is a 4x4. I bought 2 doors, 2 cab cornors, 2 rocker panles, 2 fenders, 2 fender wells, all OEM for $200 from my uncle All I need for the body parts is a 8' bed and tailgate. Thanks agen..
            Are you restoring one or building it from scratch?

Comment

building one i think

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.