Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shopping for a TIG

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping for a TIG

Greetings

I'm decent in conventional stick, and gas welding. I know nothing about TIG and want one. I restore motor bikes and to some extent cars (30 yrs). What is a great unit that will weld the thin to moderate gauges of aluminum and steel common to bikes (and car body), particularly to vintage machines? Its not uncommon for me to take the control gauges /switches apart and repair/break them.

There a lot of deals out now, but my knowledge of advantages of machine features for my projects is next to nil. Lengthy details are welcome.

thanks

H2

BTW :I am very open to a used unit. - issues related to such?
    Last edited by How2; 01-22-2010, 12:04 PM.

Shopping for TIG

I like your enthusiasm,TIG is a great welding process. Both major equipment manufacturers have a great deal of info on their web. I have two TIG units one is a 1960s H..... large 220 volt primary single phase unit. The bottom current level is not good for welding thin stock.This unit is great for aluminum .250 thick and up.Lots of current. The other unit is very portable M.....110 VAC primary and and I use it to weld stainless, steel tube and various low alloy steel tube. Keep in mind that TIG welding steel and TIG welding aluminum are quite different processes. Have fun.

Comment

I started TIG welding when I was 15 on a maxstar with no foot pedal, 5 years later i can say that I learned a lot by using such a basic machine that was harder to use. For starting from scratch I would say get a dynasty but if thats out of the budge then something in the syncrowave family would be good, make sure you get all the options! Pulse welding is awesome once you get it adjusted to your liking and water cooling is very convenient as well. Good luck!

Comment

How2,

Not sure what your frequency of use would be or your budget is.
        I would suggest you take a look at the new Diversion 180 due out in the late spring of 2010!

If this is something you would be using at home, the dual voltage 110 /230 V is a nice feature and the simplicity of the controls may be nice for a set it and go situation. Also, since the case footprint is relatively small, it takes up less space and works well for the home DIY person.

Now, just so know where I'm coming from, I have purchased a Diversion 165 for my personal use. However, I have a Maxstar and Dynasty at our shop and also have a Bobcat on hand. I have been using the Diversion more since it is easier to get situated with and just start and GO! Especially since I have been doing more Aluminum and Stainless.

Comment

The Diversion is a great unit to start out with.

Comment

Best tig of all!

If you can fork out the cash,the Dynasty 200DX would be the very best you can get.For thin stuff you have pulse tig,for aluminium the thing is absolute perfection and it has enough kick to work thicker material too.Mine is three yrs old and has been flawless.
            Frank

Comment

Yes, the Dyn isn't cheap but the adjustable freq makes you feel like super hero.

Comment

Agreed Dynasty's are the Caddillac's. I used to have a Synchrowave 185 ( This was before the 200's came out.). It was a great machine, not portable, but great none the less. If you are doing Tig on steel and alum. you need something with a/c -d/c output. Either a Synchrowave or a Dynasty would be my choice.

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.