Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Little fun after a new suspension

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Little fun after a new suspension

I just went through the whole suspension on the car and built a new 9" rear, new control arms, new torque arm, custom coil over brackets and crossmembers, and an anti sway bar.

Old 60' was 1.53

New 1.42, here is a video of a 1.43:

Car has a budget set of heads, mild cam, headers, intake. 9" rear with 4.56 gears and spool.

439 RWHP, 394 ft-lbs 3105 raceweight.

Fast forward to 2.00 minutes. went 11.01. Had a couple 10 sec passes, but none on video, 10.98, 10.95.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLiP4...layer_embedded
    Last edited by Badd00SS; 12-26-2009, 07:34 AM.

Are you using a 3 or 4 link suspension? Are you still running a sway bar on the front end?

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie_486 View Post
      Are you using a 3 or 4 link suspension? Are you still running a sway bar on the front end?
      3 link, two control arms, and a torque arm. No front sway bar, need new front shocks. The QA1's didnt last long.

Comment

Very cool man!

Comment

Front shocks will do a world of good for your holeshots. I noticed it seemed to want to pull to the right when you launched which is why I asked about the front sway bar. People laughed at me back in the 70's when I said the front sway bar hurt your launch and now it's more widely known that it does affect the holeshot. Also ball joints, shocks and front end alignment all play a factor in getting a good holeshot. Doesn't appear you have a lot to do to get the suspension all dialed in though. So you've done a good job with setting it up.

Comment

Nice Job! Sounded like a stick shift car.
            Seamed to have just a little tire hop. Could just be the track though.
            Or might need to play with launch RPM, tire pressure, coil over preload, ect.
            The tires are hitting real hard.
            Could easily be in the high 130s @ 60ft and 10.80s with some minor adjustments.
            You have a great start, now the hard part getting it fine tuned and consistant.
            It's great there's still a few of us who do their own work!
            Just curious why you didn't go with adjustable ladder bars instead the 3 link stuff. Great Job!!! Darrell

Comment

Consistent is the hardest part, especially if you're bracket racing and it's also the most important part of it as well. I'm sure he'll get it all dialed in and working good for him and 10.80 aren't a pipe dream either, it should be a reality once all dialed in.

Comment

Originally posted by fastopel View Post
                Just curious why you didn't go with adjustable ladder bars instead the 3 link stuff. Great Job!!! Darrell
                That's the stock-style suspension in the f-bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by jdustu View Post
                  That's the stock-style suspension in the f-bodies.
                  I understand that's the stock stuff but if your changing the crossmembers, shock brackets, rearend and whatever else; you might as well put some racing type traction control. That car could stand on it's bumper like a stocker/super stocker. Darrell

Comment

Originally posted by fastopel View Post
                    I understand that's the stock stuff but if your changing the crossmembers, shock brackets, rearend and whatever else; you might as well put some racing type traction control. That car could stand on it's bumper like a stocker/super stocker. Darrell
                    Plenty of the 4th gens with torque arms can do that. The quickest stock suspension is in the 7s I believe.

Comment

Guess I'm just old school. I think He has a Great Start with that car just needs some fine tuning. It's very respectable! Darrell

Comment

Thanks everyone.

The goal was just to hit tens on the cheapest heads and cam package I could at the time. And with that done, I recently sold that package off my car and have decided to move on to a decent setup.. It's a custom single plane efi setup with cnc first, then hand ported LS6 heads. Unfortunately they cost about 4 times as much as my previous ones, but we are looking for 500+ rwhp on a 346 ci, with about 11.2/3-1 compression. It's being setup with titanium intake valves, sodium filled stainless exhausts ands a rather large cam.

Once we get it together we will tweak the suspension to suit, but I wasnt going to go crazy with the old setup.

Thanks again,
                        Christian

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.