Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firewall project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • pro70z28
    started a topic Firewall project

    Firewall project

    I thought I'd start a thread about the firewall I plan to build for the "Z". Time to put the sheet metal tools to work. So far I'm just in the ''ideas" stage.


  • H80N
    replied
    pro70z28

    any chance of an update..??

    Bet it finished out purdy... and fast..!!!

    Pics..??

    Leave a comment:


  • H80N
    replied
    Bump..!!!

    This is an old thread but worth looking at...and re reading from the start..

    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...rewall-project

    Excellent fab work here...

    Wonder where that car is now..??
    Last edited by H80N; 08-06-2015, 04:09 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • spence648
    replied
    Glad i ran across this thread again, you do some great work and its looking awesome, I love your ideas and creative thinking to do things, alot of people over look wood for dies and jigs but i see youve made the most out of them, what kind of machine you using to machine those parts out? almost looks like a router, not really a mill is it? anyhow keep up the amazing work.

    Leave a comment:


  • big mike
    replied
    Methinks Spam,Spam,Spam,Spam,Spammity Spam.

    BTW proZ I wish I had an ounce of the talent your showing in this thread!
    AWESOME work!

    Leave a comment:


  • pro70z28
    replied

    Leave a comment:


  • pro70z28
    replied
    Thanks Heiti

    Leave a comment:


  • H80N
    replied
    Truly Beautiful Work!!!!! a real pleasure to watch your progress!!

    Thanks
    Heiti

    Leave a comment:


  • pro70z28
    replied
    So I made up these little clips to grab the pin a little better. Ended up making clips for both pins. That meant the linkage would no longer fit inside the rail, so I made some c-channel out of square tubing for the bottom. Holes are for junk & water drainage. I'll have to add one on the top too. At least the hinge locks in place solid now, in both open & closed positions.



    Got a few more parts to make & they will be ready to weld back on. The 3/4'' pins are for alignment during welding, eventually they will be replaced with 3/4" nylon bushing stock & a 1/2" steel pin. Got some black corian® cut-offs from a counter top place. Cutting that on the CNC to fill in the gaps between the rails & the hinges, so there won't be any metal to metal contact. Nylon & corian® should allow the hinges to slide smooth.


    I hope this deal goes a little better from here on out. Hate those glitches.

    Leave a comment:


  • pro70z28
    replied
    Got a little more done on the hinges. Made a jig to cut the frame horns off. Boxed in the rail to keep junk from getting down inside the frame. Welded them in along with some fish plates to weld the horns back on.





    I had a little ooops. I spun some bushing bungs on the lathe, welded them in & when I tested it the hinge came out of the rail. The pins were supposed to keep the hinge in the rail but there was just enough clearance for it to slip by.
    Last edited by pro70z28; 07-04-2011, 09:59 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • pro70z28
    replied
    Thanks for the positive comments. Had to work most of the day today, but I found enough time to assemble the hinges & buff them a little.

    Leave a comment:


  • t chassis
    replied
    this thread is one of the best i have seen on here!!! your work is incredible but not only your work, the patients you have to be able to go back and remake something even if its because you dont like just one little thing about the peice is what amazes me...keep us updated as you make progress!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • On fire most of the time
    replied
    As always, looking good. Definitely above and beyond right there. Its not even my project and I'm excited!

    Leave a comment:


  • pro70z28
    replied
    They fit on the outside of the rails. Now to get them to fit "inside".

    Leave a comment:


  • pro70z28
    replied
    Thanks reid01. The kids are on vacation so we are celebrating Father's Day Friday. I spent the last few days working on hinge designs. Each one had a little problem here or there but they all helped me come up with the final design. To get the front end to work like I hope it will, the front end has to come forward first 3.75'', then raise 2". Then flip up. I want it to be removable also. I came up with a bunch of ideas, some of the more promising ones I cut prototypes out of 1/4" PVC cut offs. First obstacle was getting the geometry right. After that was just making sure there was enough material in the right places & keeping it small enough to fit where it had to fit.



    The last design came pretty close to fitting alongside the 3''x2'' main rails but still but I still wondered if I'd be kicking myself down the road when it came time to mount the radiator, pro charger & all the other stuff that needs to go in the front. Then I got the bright idea of building the linkage inside the frame rail. After a few more prototypes I think I have it, (works on the bench anyway) lol

    So, today I cut out the CNC parts.


    Got a few parts to make on the lathe yet & some massaging to do on the frame rails to make everything fit. I guess if it doesn't work I'll just have to go back to the drawing board. Only 1 way to find out..................... Stay tuned.


    Leave a comment:

Working...
X