Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help for a novice

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for a novice

OK so everyone warned me about not over heating my projects. But like the newbie I am, i over estimated what that entailed. I have over heated the roof of my '56 Studebaker Pickup. I think it's called coffee canning or soda canning? Now my roof is pretty deformed and when I try to straighten it in one spot, The other spot moved. What can I do?

I saw a video on you tube once about shrinking metal. Heat small areas with a torch and then cool with water. This will shrink the metal. Go easy and don't rush...

Comment

You need to shrink it back into place. The best way is with more heat than cool it quick with wet towels. There are lots of tricks to do it with a shrinking hammer and a dolly too. The best way i have seen is how the guys over at the metalworkers site do it. Is take an old SS fry pan lid and put it on a buffer and go over the area to heat it up then cool it quick with the towels. You must use a buffer for low speeds not a 20,000 rpm grinder that will make a missle. You may be able to turn an abrasive disc around backwards and run the paper side to make heat with a disc grinder you will have to try it. I will dig up some info...Bob

Comment

The term is oil-canning. Yes you need to do some shrinking in the RIGHT areas, and the RIGHT way. The torch/water idea, well shrinking, also makes that spot hard, causes stress, and almost impossible to work out, so I would avoid it at all costs. Using heat, some sand bags, and a spoon you can work out oil cans pretty quickly. Visit www.tinmantech.com for some learning material and tools if you dont have them. Oh and I wouldnt bother with a "shrinking disk" either, that works on the same principal as the torch/water. Been there, tried it, tossed it.
        -Aaron

Comment

Thanks Guys, I thought I was completely screwed.

Comment

Trip over to San Jac So. to the autobody class shop, ask for David Brasden(sic) or Jake Staul, the chief instructor and his assistant, they can give ya some pointers to eliminate the oil can effect.
            Good luck
            L*S

Comment

here are a couple videos..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6rPdaZQ7_c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYXMY...eature=related

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.