Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shootout boat

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shootout boat

We have a big race here every year. people from all over the world come to be in it. It is done sorta like Bonneville to me, if you are familiar with that.
    I always seem to weld on a few one way or another.
    I just thought about it today and asked one of the techs if he would shoot a couple of pics with my camera for you guys.
    First one is my van I use and me welding. Second is a better shot of the boat.
    That building is full of this type of boats and there is another building the same way. They are 60x300. Lotsa $$

I would say each stern drive (not including any engine of course ) would run 15-25 thousand.Im guessing to fuel up the tanks is about $800.00.What was the particular problem with the skeg that required welding?What type of filler did you use?Mike

Comment

One thing I forgot to add, I am going to assume that matching the finish on that Skeg is no easy task, how do you deal with that?Mike

Comment

Another question for you, how long is your torch lead? It looks way longer then the normal 25 foot.

-Dan

Comment

No response from Fusion King?

I hope he didnt melt the skeg off or something Just Kidding, I know your too good for that.Mike

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddy View Post
            I would say each stern drive (not including any engine of course ) would run 15-25 thousand.Im guessing to fuel up the tanks is about $800.00.What was the particular problem with the skeg that required welding?What type of filler did you use?Mike
            It had hit something and had a piece missing about the shape and size of 1/2 of a tennis ball about halfway up the leading edge...quite common. I call 'em "turtle bites"
            I used 4043 and just built it back up.

One thing I forgot to add, I am going to assume that matching the finish on that Skeg is no easy task, how do you deal with that?Mike
            What I do after welding is rough grind with a 4 1/2" grinder, not quite flush. Then on that one I used a 21"x3" Ryobi belt sander with a 36 grit belt and made it just flush and then switched to an 80 grit. After that I used a 5" random orbit sander with a 100 grit disc. They said good enuff/
            It had a slight tweak in it that I took out on the pre-heat as well.
            I messed with it 2 hrs and they paid me $200 and everyone was happy.

Originally posted by engnerdan View Post
            Another question for you, how long is your torch lead? It looks way longer then the normal 25 foot.

-Dan
            Pics say it all here...I just use a power block and chopped off the lug. Then I connected 2 twenty five ft leads and taped 'em up...been using that for about 12 yrs now.

Comment

I hope he didnt melt the skeg off or something Just Kidding, I know your too good for that.Mike
              I just cannot believe that we were posting at the same time!!

Comment

FK, thanks for that info, I know arc-zone sells some special adapter to do the same thing (I think it just has a OSHA approved cover instead of tape.

I am glad to see I am not the only one working out of the back of my vehicle. One of the last jobs I had I pulled up in my VW Jetta and they looked at my like I was out of my mind. The customer told me I had the wrong vehicle I needed a big truck to be a welder.

-Dan

Comment

Yuh know I have used about everything to work out of before.
                  I always HATED vans. Back when I had the machine shop I was one of the few guys who liked installing/building engines in them and even then I HATED them.
                  BUT after using one to work out of I actually like mine a bunch.
                  It is the third one I have had. I used a G-20 for years with the Bobber inside. It was a short wheelbase. Then I switched to a G-30 for about a year but it was just somehow too big but not big enuff to make it worthwhile.
                  So I switched back to the G-20 I had before.
                  It was painted camoflauge and EVERYONE in the area knew me by that thing...I would go in Wal-Mart and come out with people waiting or notes attached.
                  After my wife felt like she had run most of the goodie out of her Safari I jumped on it. It is AWD and I use that all I can
                  It is a bit light in the pants. I used it dual purpose for awhile by leaving 2 back buckets in. That was just too much weight. The weight comes from all the cords and all the power tools.
                  So now it is like a 'vette as far as hauling people but it is fine for what I do.
                  If I need the Bobber I have it mounted on a trailer and it is still my trademark camo.
                  Everyone in the family says camo this van also but I like the more stealthy approach...esp. when I have nasty-nice customers like this guy.

Comment

Bottle?

Where do you keep your argon bottle? I didn't see it in the pics and why remove the prop?
                    Last edited by PipeLayer; 08-22-2009, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Where do you keep your argon bottle?

If you look closely you can see the flow meter tube sticking up behind the passenger seat and the yellow safety cap.

and why remove the prop?[/QUOTE]

The prop is very expensive...one nick and I am screwed. Also I constantly am getting up and sighting in straightness from behind and the twisted prop obscures this. It also gets in the way of the belt sander too.

Comment

FK,

Nice job.

People not familar with that type work really can't comprehend what a set of those Speedmaster drives cost. Same thing with the SS wheels.

When you mentioned a Bonneville type run, am I to assume we're talking one boat on the course at a time, running thru a measured mile? In that type scenario (flat water), the tunnel boats have a distinct advantage over a V-Hull. Put them in the ocean in rough seas and the picture changes.

Actually seems like a pretty safe type of racing. I'm assuming most of the higher end boats have capsules.

Quite a bit different than the last major I ran for OMC back in the mid 60's. Nine Hour Marathon, Marine Stadium, Miami, FL. Four classes of boats (Unlimited Inboard, Limited Inboard, Unlimited Outboard, Limited Outboard) all on the same course (3.2 miles) at the same time. Had limited outboards running in the high 70's and unlimited inboards running in the 170+ range.

Most dangerous race I think I ever ran. I was running an unlimited outboard at the time. Topped out in the lo 90's (monohull). Coming up the back straights at Marine Stadium, flat out, Hank Bowman (used to be sports writer for Popular Boating) (driving an unlimited inboard) passed me like I was dragging a 5 gal bucket. When the went past the barrier island into Biscayne Bay, he caught air and the boat went airborne. When it came down it popped him out of the boat. Boat went into a tight circle. He couldn't get out of his vest. Before I could get there (was going to run over the boat and wipe the intake system) the boat ran over him. Prop walked three times up his left side. Killed him instantly. I got there. Shut down the boat and went in the water to pull him out. Medivac airlifted us both from the water. No hope for Hank. Stopped racing that day. Resumed on Sunday. We lost a powerhead, about two hours into the race and went out.

Think that was the last year they ran the 9 Hr Marathon in Marine Stadium.

Comment

WOW! thats some story.
                          yea it's a flying mile, but this year there will be some side by side as well.
                          There has been some 200 mph runs here when everything is just right.
                          This boat if you notice has a capsule.
                          We have the offshore boys come here and run their event as well about a month later too.
                          It is actually unbelievable just how many offshore boats that there is here on this lake. It is in the thousands.
                          www.lakeoftheozarksshootout.org

www.funlake.com

Comment

Yea FK,

I'm familar with your "lake".

I went thru engineer AIT (Advanced Individual Training) at Ft. Leonard Wood back in the summer of 1967.

Just a wild azz kid, right out of college, knowing we were all headed for Viet Nam and living life to the fullest. Just took me a little longer to get there than I originally expected. I remember some "really" hot days and cold nights. More of a temperature swing than I was used to growing up along the coast.

Had two major vices as a kid. If it moved, I raced it. If it backtalked, I smacked it. Army did tend to calm me down a bit. Even paid me a little extra for some of the fun stuff (airborne, dive qualified, HALO qualified, etc)

Funny the hand life deals you. Going back to that 9 Hr. Marathon in Miami, that was the race where I got an offer from Carl Kiekaever (SP), President of Mercury Motors to drive for him at Lake X (Mercury's test facility in FL). Turned him down, knowing I'd be finishing college that spring and would be looking at a stint in the military. Six months later he hired Reggie Fountain to fill the position and the rest is history. I still joke with Reggie, telling him if I'd taken the job, he'd still be an unknown. Probably a good move though on my part. Jumping from C141's at 35,000 ft was probably safer than some of the boats we were running back in the 60's. Engine technology had definitely outpaced hull design in those days.

Comment

hey SundownIII . I took basic at Ft Leonard Wood. Started April 10, 1967. What a wonderful rocky place

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.