Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Andy - Got a question

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Andy - Got a question

If you are at liberty to discuss this, what Miller Mig and Tig welders are preferred by Nascar teams? I understand if this is propietary info.

Do they mig the chassis and tig the roll cages or some of both?

No real reason for asking, just curious.

Thanks.

Actually, it's really not proprietary.

With NASCAR, the main chassis/roll cage is mild steel DOM tubing.

Teams can MIG or TIG these.

Most teams MIG weld the main roll cage center section and TIG weld the critical suspension geometry.

Some teams MIG weld the entire chassis and only 2 teams TIG weld the entire chassis.

As far as suspension components, most of that is TIG welded except the rear trailing arms. They are MIG welded.

Rear ends are TIG welded.

I am putting together some chassis building projects that will be put up on the site soon.
    Also, we will be doing a complete chassis build, along with one of my chassis customers, at the PRI show in Florida. Some of that will be cataloged for our project section too or even our Youtube channel.

So if you are bored, slide out to Orlando this December.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by ASKANDY View Post
      Actually, it's really not proprietary.

With NASCAR, the main chassis/roll cage is mild steel DOM tubing.

Teams can MIG or TIG these.

Most teams MIG weld the main roll cage center section and TIG weld the critical suspension geometry.

Some teams MIG weld the entire chassis and only 2 teams TIG weld the entire chassis.

As far as suspension components, most of that is TIG welded except the rear trailing arms. They are MIG welded.

Rear ends are TIG welded.

I am putting together some chassis building projects that will be put up on the site soon.
      Also, we will be doing a complete chassis build, along with one of my chassis customers, at the PRI show in Florida. Some of that will be cataloged for our project section too or even our Youtube channel.

So if you are bored, slide out to Orlando this December.

Andy
      Hey Andy,

Nice to see you're still around here. I'm still hanging in here, taking it one day at a time. Some days are better than others and even the bad ones are better now thanks to a Miller Big Window Elite which I think of you every time I put it on!!!

Have you heard anything from Hawk lately?

Later and thanks a million again
      Blondie

Comment

Originally posted by ASKANDY View Post
        Some of that will be cataloged for our project section too or even our Youtube channel.
        I didn't realize you guys had a YouTube channel.

Comment

Andy - Thanks for the info on the PRI show. Where's it going to be held? I'm close enough that if the wife is doing ok, I might slip over for the day.

As for my original question, specifically what machines are the NASCAR guys using in their shops primarily? Do they get to choose what Miller provides, or do you set them up with what you feel they need the most?

Thanks - Later

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sporty View Post
            As for my original question, specifically what machines are the NASCAR guys using in their shops primarily? Do they get to choose what Miller provides, or do you set them up with what you feel they need the most?
            Here is an interesting video link as far as one of the machines they use, I must admit I was a little surprised when I saw it! :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygTfsMxUpko

I remember hearing that they use lots of Dynasty 200's and Millermatic 180's at the shop and some Passports at the track. I imagine the new "hot ticket" would be the Millermatic 211's, they don't really do much welding on heavy materials so they don't need large machines.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.