Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some advice TIG welding patch panels

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QuazI View Post
    could try using a heat sink if at all possible....worked wonders for any thin stuff I've ever done!!!!
    That's one of the coolest thing I've ever heard.

any pics of the type of heat sink?

Comment

Originally posted by KarateBoy View Post

I use a big hunk of aluminum (2x4x6) and keep it in the freezer.

Comment

Originally posted by KarateBoy View Post

Get about a 8-12" piece of 1" copper pipe from the hardware store, and flatten out about half of it. Then put about a 45 deg. angle on it. You can get fancy with a handle, or just wrap some electrical tape on it. You can make others with different sizes if needed.

Comment

Dull abrasives will create lots of heat while grinding. You can't use a grinding disk until it's worn completely down while doing body work. You have to keep putting fresh disks on or else you'll end up heating the panel up and warping it.

Backstitch or backstep welding will also help to keep panel distortion down. Just imagine if you had to weld a new quarter panel on an Econoline van with an oxy acetelyne torch!! It's been done before.

Hope this helps a bit.

Comment

If the hardness of your MIG welds is a factor making grinding them down tedious, try .023 ESAB Easy Grind (available in 11 lb rolls and larger). It makes for softer and more malleable beads.

If you keep your hammer/dolly work confined to just the weld, you can get the surrounding metal to return to it's original shape. When shrinkage occurs, it's just the weld puddle itself getting smaller, not the parent material.

Comment

Do you start dollying the bead asap?

Ex: Spot weld, quickly dolly, let cool slowly, go to another area of the panel and repeat. Keep repeating entire seam is filled with spot welds.. right?

I like the cut off wheel trick on a die grinder. Works great for removing spot welds as well.

Thanks for your time

Comment

I use 3M 2" discs on my die grinder, I don't remember what they are made of but they are designed to run cooler you can even grind with them wet, which really helps preventing heat build up.

Comment

what about using reverse polarity? wouldn't that put less heat into the sheet metal?

Thnaks

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.