Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

? for the turbo guys

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? for the turbo guys

I've got a guy at work that wants me to do his aluminum plumbing on his 85 1/2 Mustang SVO. Does anyone ever expand the tubing to make socket welds[slip joint] instead of a butt welds ?
    Last edited by Showdog75; 07-14-2009, 08:26 PM.

I've only seen butt welds and I think butt welds look better, but a slip joint would work, as long as your not restricting the air flow.

Comment

He's got two pieces of silicon hose that he keeps having trouble with and I'm trying to get him to order a couple of V-band clamps then hard plumb everything. I wonder if the V-band clamps will give a little as to hopefully keep from breaking anything else. Thanks for the reply's.

Comment

Put a bead in the tubing where he keeps blowing the elbows. Or, you can weld a bead onto the end of the tubing if you don't have a bead roller. I've done a lot of those for the local kids. The kits they seem to pick up off ebay just have straight cut tubing and it doesn't hold the pressure.

Comment

V-band clamps will not give. And I am sure you mean silicone, not silicon. Silicon is a glassy metallic element that looks like this in its pure form:

Comment

As nice as hard mounting everything looks, you need to have a coupler.

Try Fishy Jim's idea...a bead would help, it would give that clamp something to hold against.

Comment

I ALWAYS butt weld them for a cleaner look. I don't like the expand and slip joint look in the engine bay.

As for V-bands, they are the ultimate in securing piping IMO, but for a lot less money you can keep the silicone adapters and use good T-bolt style clamps on them, I've had T-bolts hold to 45psi on a car i tuned once and they didn't show any signs of having moved during tuning/testing.

Comment

Here's the ultimate . . . http://www.burnsstainless.com/Hardwa...insclamps.html . . . flexible and absolute, but not cheap. It's a quick-release and looks good too

Jim

Comment

I agree with the T-bolts, if the tubes don't have a bead on the ends add some in for better grip to them. you also might want to try the "Hump Hose" connectors, the hump lets them flex more instead of pulling off.

Comment

The absolute best for IC piping would be to use Wiggins Adel clamps. They also have another one which is called a hagart clamp if I'm not mistaken. Much better than any v-band or couplers. The adel clamp has some flexability which is awesome unless you have solid mounts.

Comment

I agree, wiggins clamps are the best way to go, but for a slightly lower cost alternative, boost braces are a good option:
                      http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=1074

Comment

hi there.nice link.it would be helpful for me..

Comment

No problem.
                          Let me know if you need a source, I sell them through my business. I've been quite happy with the entire Vibrant line. I use them just about daily.
                          Ryan

Comment

I have alwase used slip joints but that is just me.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.