What is your favorite ratchet handle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laiky
    started a topic What is your favorite ratchet handle?

What is your favorite ratchet handle?

So i have been boared, sue me!

Mine is this one from craftsman:
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+tooth+ratchet

Fine tooth, quick release, comfortable, nearly indestructable and ready for a cheater handle made from cheap and available 1/2" EMT, and a lifetime warrantee.

• On fire most of the time
    replied
    Sonora: True. Forget what I said about your spud wrench, just stop driving, youd definitely be safer! The 15 and 91 are death traps, I swear.

Dave: I own a crescent spud, and ive seen it stand straight up in a co workers arm when someone wasnt paying attention and knocked it off a scissor lift.

Im just throwing my .02 at the comment. They can be quite nasty, as well as handy.

Leave a comment:

• Sonora Iron
    replied
    Dave these guys have me panic stricken now! Until I read On fire’s post I thought the most dangerous part of my schedule was the adventures on SO Cal freeways!

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    "Spuds & Sleevers"

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    Thank you very much for your informative narrative.
    Sonora: They probably don't know what a "bull pin" is, or know that Crescent makes adjustable "spud" wrenches, or the difference between a soft nut and hard nut "big bolt" spud wrench. Oh well.

Dave
    Last edited by davedarragh; 07-13-2009, 12:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Lol, youre welcome for the narrative, but im not the safety guy ive just seen some of that stuff happen.

Leave a comment:

• monte55
    replied
    Originally posted by On fire most of the time View Post
    Thatd work extremely well untill one of two things happened...

A: It would land point down on your foot, and be standing upright when you look down... OR

B: You would go to break something loose and would by a freak accident slip and stab your hand on it.

I dont doubt for a second its handy...but I use a regular spud adj. wrench when I need to use one. That way its not my primary tool, and I can just set it down on the bench.
    ya forgot breaking his neck and putting his eye out

Leave a comment:

• Sonora Iron
    replied
    Thank you very much for your informative narrative.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Thatd work extremely well untill one of two things happened...

A: It would land point down on your foot, and be standing upright when you look down... OR

B: You would go to break something loose and would by a freak accident slip and stab your hand on it.

I dont doubt for a second its handy...but I use a regular spud adj. wrench when I need to use one. That way its not my primary tool, and I can just set it down on the bench.

Leave a comment:

• Sonora Iron
    replied
    These work well in my world.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    "Craftsman-Guaranteed For Life"

Originally posted by metalmeltr View Post
    Fastenal sells the craftsman ratchet rebuild parts. Just take the the model number with you and they can get you the parts. Sorry don't know how much they cost. BTW I like the crafman professional 3/8 drive ratchet, for 1/4 drive we hve 5 or 6 of the standard craftsman ratchets and for 1/2 we have a cratsman standard ratchet. We have a mac 1/4 inch but it is worn out. We have 4 or 5 craftsman 3/8 drive ratchets but i like the profssonal ratchet better. We also have an old SK 3/8 drive ratchet but it doesnt get used much. We also have a Chicago Pnumatic 3/8 and 1/4 drive air ratchet that are great and get used all of the time.
    Why would anyone BUY a ratchet repair kit for a Craftsman ratchet? Take it back to Sears and get a new one!

Dave

Leave a comment:

• metalmeltr
    replied
    Fastenal sells the craftsman ratchet rebuild parts. Just take the the model number with you and they can get you the parts. Sorry don't know how much they cost. BTW I like the crafman professional 3/8 drive ratchet, for 1/4 drive we hve 5 or 6 of the standard craftsman ratchets and for 1/2 we have a cratsman standard ratchet. We have a mac 1/4 inch but it is worn out. We have 4 or 5 craftsman 3/8 drive ratchets but i like the profssonal ratchet better. We also have an old SK 3/8 drive ratchet but it doesnt get used much. We also have a Chicago Pnumatic 3/8 and 1/4 drive air ratchet that are great and get used all of the time.

Leave a comment:

• DetroitRob
    replied
    IIRC there is a plant in ohio that makes wrenches for just about everyone, snapon, mac, matco, craftsman, and i think a few others, a friend of mines dad had a company that treated waste oil and they used to haul from that plant

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    A little web searching brings up that kobalt was once made by snapon in the beginning, but hasn't been for some time now.

Bluepoint is snapon's foreign made stuff. It very well could be one in the same with the kobalt's because we all know how highly the chinese regard intellectual property rights.
    Kolbalt was made by Williams at one time too. Alot of the tools are made by the same company. There is a small plant by me that makes Craftsman rachets and wrenches...Bob

Leave a comment:

• IRONLORE
    replied
    I still have a few craftsman ratchet rebuild kits left for sale or will trade for other tools. Need ratchet number, usually on handle. PM me if interested.

Glenn

Leave a comment:

• chrisgay@sbcglo
    replied
    Originally posted by turboglenn View Post
    so true about the knurling LOL and as a matter of fact i have the little green box for th 1/4 inch set still to this day. The larger boxes for the other ratchets were too beat up so they went into the scrap pile years ago, but these are hands down the best ratchets i've ever had and probably better than any i will get in the future... just so smooth it can't be copied
    I still have the 1/4" set by SK in the little green box that my father gave to me when I was like four years old something. Sweet!

Soo...My thirty year-old 3/8" drive Craftsman finally stripped out and when I went to return it, they offered me a USED replacement. WTF?!?!

First off, I was hoping they would replace the gear, but they don't stock those anymore. I really didn't want a new one because I don't think the quality is the same, and I CAN'T STAND the release button. What a nuisance!

They finally let me pick a new one out, so I got the one with the longer handle. I guess that's cool, whatcha gonna do? Looks pretty good, just don't like the button.

I keep getting hand-me-downs from the old man, so there are sets in about everyroom of the house; my faves would have to be the old SK wrenches and the Snap-on ratchets.

I also have a set of Kraueter combination wrenches which I really like.

Too many tools? Never.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X