What is your favorite ratchet handle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisa7164 View Post
    Snap on has something to do with kobalt...my dealer showed me several years ago..somehow they own the company.
    I had not heard that about Snap-On but the Blue-Point ratchets they sell look like Kobalt. Stanley and Mac have been one in ther same for a while as well.

I prefer Snap-On ratchets. I like the old school smooth handles as well as the comfort grip. I told myself about 12 years ago I would not buy Snap-On stuff due to price. My first time in a Snap-On truck I went numb...it was like high quality gearhead CRACK everywhere! I was hooked and I own a lot of Snap-On tools.

Tom
    Tom
    Dynasty SD
    Millermatic 130

"Too Bad Those Who Know It All Can't Do it All"

Comment

Ive got an 18" Snap on locking flex head. Nice dual 80 head on it too...so nice and smooth. Cost me 100 bucks though.
      Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Comment

A little web searching brings up that kobalt was once made by snapon in the beginning, but hasn't been for some time now.

Bluepoint is snapon's foreign made stuff. It very well could be one in the same with the kobalt's because we all know how highly the chinese regard intellectual property rights.
        Syncrowave 250DX
        Invison 354MP
        XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
        Smith O/A rig
        And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Originally posted by Fishy Jim View Post
          I've got the same thing Glenn. In fact, 2 of em. 21pc sets in both standard and metric from back when they came in the green metal box.

The only thing I don't like about the SK's is the knurls on the handles are too sharp. When you put the torque into something time and again (doing assembly) it chews on your hands after a while. I've never had a lick of trouble with those ratchets and I've had them for about 15 years now.
          so true about the knurling LOL and as a matter of fact i have the little green box for th 1/4 inch set still to this day. The larger boxes for the other ratchets were too beat up so they went into the scrap pile years ago, but these are hands down the best ratchets i've ever had and probably better than any i will get in the future... just so smooth it can't be copied
          Dynasty 200DX
          Hobart Handler 135
          Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
          Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
          Hypertherm Powermax 45
          Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by turboglenn View Post
            so true about the knurling LOL and as a matter of fact i have the little green box for th 1/4 inch set still to this day. The larger boxes for the other ratchets were too beat up so they went into the scrap pile years ago, but these are hands down the best ratchets i've ever had and probably better than any i will get in the future... just so smooth it can't be copied
            I still have the 1/4" set by SK in the little green box that my father gave to me when I was like four years old something. Sweet!

Soo...My thirty year-old 3/8" drive Craftsman finally stripped out and when I went to return it, they offered me a USED replacement. WTF?!?!

First off, I was hoping they would replace the gear, but they don't stock those anymore. I really didn't want a new one because I don't think the quality is the same, and I CAN'T STAND the release button. What a nuisance!

They finally let me pick a new one out, so I got the one with the longer handle. I guess that's cool, whatcha gonna do? Looks pretty good, just don't like the button.

I keep getting hand-me-downs from the old man, so there are sets in about everyroom of the house; my faves would have to be the old SK wrenches and the Snap-on ratchets.

I also have a set of Kraueter combination wrenches which I really like.

Too many tools? Never.
            Maxstar 200DX
            Maxstar 300DX
            Dynasty 200DX
            Passport
            Spectrum 701
            LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

I still have a few craftsman ratchet rebuild kits left for sale or will trade for other tools. Need ratchet number, usually on handle. PM me if interested.

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Fishy Jim View Post
                A little web searching brings up that kobalt was once made by snapon in the beginning, but hasn't been for some time now.

Bluepoint is snapon's foreign made stuff. It very well could be one in the same with the kobalt's because we all know how highly the chinese regard intellectual property rights.
                Kolbalt was made by Williams at one time too. Alot of the tools are made by the same company. There is a small plant by me that makes Craftsman rachets and wrenches...Bob
                Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

IIRC there is a plant in ohio that makes wrenches for just about everyone, snapon, mac, matco, craftsman, and i think a few others, a friend of mines dad had a company that treated waste oil and they used to haul from that plant

Comment

Fastenal sells the craftsman ratchet rebuild parts. Just take the the model number with you and they can get you the parts. Sorry don't know how much they cost. BTW I like the crafman professional 3/8 drive ratchet, for 1/4 drive we hve 5 or 6 of the standard craftsman ratchets and for 1/2 we have a cratsman standard ratchet. We have a mac 1/4 inch but it is worn out. We have 4 or 5 craftsman 3/8 drive ratchets but i like the profssonal ratchet better. We also have an old SK 3/8 drive ratchet but it doesnt get used much. We also have a Chicago Pnumatic 3/8 and 1/4 drive air ratchet that are great and get used all of the time.
                    This is an automotive discussion forum that has some great infromation

www.autobodytoolmart.com/shoptalk

Comment

"Craftsman-Guaranteed For Life"

Originally posted by metalmeltr View Post
                      Fastenal sells the craftsman ratchet rebuild parts. Just take the the model number with you and they can get you the parts. Sorry don't know how much they cost. BTW I like the crafman professional 3/8 drive ratchet, for 1/4 drive we hve 5 or 6 of the standard craftsman ratchets and for 1/2 we have a cratsman standard ratchet. We have a mac 1/4 inch but it is worn out. We have 4 or 5 craftsman 3/8 drive ratchets but i like the profssonal ratchet better. We also have an old SK 3/8 drive ratchet but it doesnt get used much. We also have a Chicago Pnumatic 3/8 and 1/4 drive air ratchet that are great and get used all of the time.
                      Why would anyone BUY a ratchet repair kit for a Craftsman ratchet? Take it back to Sears and get a new one!

Dave
                      "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

These work well in my world.
                        Attached Files
                        Caution!
                        These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Thatd work extremely well untill one of two things happened...

A: It would land point down on your foot, and be standing upright when you look down... OR

B: You would go to break something loose and would by a freak accident slip and stab your hand on it.

I dont doubt for a second its handy...but I use a regular spud adj. wrench when I need to use one. That way its not my primary tool, and I can just set it down on the bench.
                          Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Comment

Thank you very much for your informative narrative.
                            Caution!
                            These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Originally posted by On fire most of the time View Post
                              Thatd work extremely well untill one of two things happened...

A: It would land point down on your foot, and be standing upright when you look down... OR

B: You would go to break something loose and would by a freak accident slip and stab your hand on it.

I dont doubt for a second its handy...but I use a regular spud adj. wrench when I need to use one. That way its not my primary tool, and I can just set it down on the bench.
                              ya forgot breaking his neck and putting his eye out
                              Nick
                              Miller 252 Mig
                              Miller Cricket XL
                              Millermatic 150 Mig
                              Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
                              2-O/A outfits
                              Jet Lathe and Mill
                              Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
                              DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
                              Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
                              20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
                              Propane Forge
                              60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
                              Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
                              and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

Lol, youre welcome for the narrative, but im not the safety guy ive just seen some of that stuff happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X