Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite ratchet handle?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite ratchet handle?

So i have been boared, sue me!

Mine is this one from craftsman:
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+tooth+ratchet

Fine tooth, quick release, comfortable, nearly indestructable and ready for a cheater handle made from cheap and available 1/2" EMT, and a lifetime warrantee.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....group_ID=12918

This one, but only because it'll put an impact wrench to shame.

I like craftsman's pro ratchets, but I wish they had them with a straight handle in the flex head. I have a 6 and I think a 11" without the flex and I like those as much as my dad's snappy version.

Craftsman's tools also lack the material quality of snappy's stuff. I'm constantly rounding over the jaws on my combination wrenches and dinging sockets, but that never happens on my snapon stuff. I even use my snapon 3/4" combination wrench on the mill where I rap the draw bar with the wrench's shank for every tool change - not so much as a single ding.

I personally hate the handle style you linked as your favorite because the shape doesn't feel good when applying much force. I have a flex head in that style and I've tried a couple times to exchange it with no luck. That was a couple years back, and I think after the Kmart acquisition they've changed their approach a bit. The last time I mentioned it to a salesman he suggested I bring it in and he'd hook me up with store credit for the current price. I just never did.

Comment

I don't have links to mine, but i have a really nice SK model that's just as smooth as you could ever want even on their 1/3 inch model (got the set years ago used of 1/4 through 1/2, but they're all stubby, i would have liked the bigger ones to have longer handled and they're way to nice to weld to so i give in and use a cheater on the 1/2'' one when i need to.

But ultimately i love the 1/4'' one in the set... It has a very small round head that you can get onto about any bolt no matter how close it is to the edge of a wall or inside 90* work area.

Comment

I've got the same thing Glenn. In fact, 2 of em. 21pc sets in both standard and metric from back when they came in the green metal box.

The only thing I don't like about the SK's is the knurls on the handles are too sharp. When you put the torque into something time and again (doing assembly) it chews on your hands after a while. I've never had a lick of trouble with those ratchets and I've had them for about 15 years now.

Comment

I don't like the heads on snap-on ratchets. there slightly better than craftsman but not nearly as precise or smooth as Gearwrench. I think gearwrench quality is right up there with the best of them. and not terribly priced either, and of course lifetime guarantee.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...wrench+ratchet

Only drawback is no socket release button, I have always hated that about snap-on.

my $.02

Comment

hi benny..snap on has a quick release version..it's just not standard like on a craftsman.

Comment

Originally posted by Laiky View Post
              So i have been boared, sue me!

Mine is this one from craftsman:
              http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+tooth+ratchet

Fine tooth, quick release, comfortable, nearly indestructable and ready for a cheater handle made from cheap and available 1/2" EMT, and a lifetime warrantee.
              Laiky.........I also have and like that Craftsman model. I've had mine since the 70's. The only thing is you have a hard time reversing while gripping the handle. I like the fine tooth ratchet. Why would you put a cheater bar on a fine tooth ratchet or any ratchet? I have break over bars for that.

Comment

Rachet Jaw

I have a Snap-on and Craftsman but I find my self using the S-K the most because of the fine tooth. I have some Gear wrenches but they are made in china, when I bought them from Sears, I had to take one back because it did not work right out of the package. But when they do work they feel good to the hand.
                Bob

Comment

WRIGHT TOOLS....Bob
                  http://www.wrighttool.com/

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                    Laiky.........I also have and like that Craftsman model. I've had mine since the 70's. The only thing is you have a hard time reversing while gripping the handle. I like the fine tooth ratchet. Why would you put a cheater bar on a fine tooth ratchet or any ratchet? I have break over bars for that.
                    Funny, i never thought about that. When i started working as a mechanic my boss had the ratchet i linked to with a piece of EMT formed over the handle. It was my favorite in short order. Admittedly the handle is not the most comfortable but it is short and compact, the quick release is great for greasy hands or when you have a 1/2 dozen sockets in use. The reverser never gets accidentally changed. The fine tooth is better than any snap-on i ever used. The emt slide over is such a way the if you tap it once seated it sticks so you end up with a longer handle when reaching down in an engine bay, allowing you some extra leverage or more often the ability to lean on it with out smashing your knuckles. You can relrease the emt and slide it in and out depending on what your trying to turn and you have a ton of leverage when you need it. All for around 20 bucks!!

Comment

I found that SK made the best tools and Snap On. But I find myself always buying Crasftsman because I can buy 3 times the tools for the price of SK and Snap. Sears is right down the street so when I break something its a short ride to get a brand new replacement. I have never been turned down for any replacement even when they are smashed to ****. If I had unlimited money I would just buy an entire Snap On truck!

Comment

I inherited some gearwrenches and use them on occasion, but I don't reach for them very often.

I've found that if you work them much (tightening bolts), they'll heat up and bind.

Comment

As far as ratchets go, I have craftsman, snapons and kobalt. I reach for the kobalts every time, my old craftsman ratchets are great, but the new ones i keep getting are very hard to operate, and it seems like they dont finish them off as much anymore. I have complete sets of gearwrench box wrenches, standard, metric, and a few specific flex head models, and I absolutley love them. They are faster and lighter than ratchets, but they dont take alot in the way of torque, then again there is always the right tool for the job, and i wouldnt try to use a gearwrench when it takes my 2ft breaker bar

Comment

Snap on has something to do with kobalt...my dealer showed me several years ago..somehow they own the company.

Comment

i love an old beat up snap on 3/8 ratchet i got from my dad, but thats probably due more to sentimental reasons than anything else. I have a wright torque wrench that i would put up against snap or mac, and cost about half. I use a lot of craftsman tools that are very good value for the price, but sometimes i have to bend over and pay the big bucks to snapon or mac, simply because no one else makes what i'm looking for. Unfortunatly, here in canada, we don't get craftsman pro stuff, no craftsman tool trucks, just sears store and catalogue. If you wait for the sales, you can get a lot of tools for your buck. I wonder what tools are available from japan or europe? I would be interested, just from a tool junkie's point of view!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.