No announcement yet.

Welding Aluminum with Oxy/Acetylene ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aerometalworker Hello Aero, I bumped into this thread tonight and am feeling lucky about reading your post.
    I have several years of experience, as a hobbyist, in thin steel sheet welding with O/F with smaller torches, mostly gauge #20 to #25 for tuned pipes. This summer I got an old Hitachi TIG welder for aluminium and magnesium, but as far as these thin steel I had too much struggles on especially #25. I feel TIG is a hard thing to learn than torch welding for thin steel. So now I prefer O/F more than TIG for thin steel though, since O/F torch gives me a lot more easy maneuverability in keeping the puddle to where I aim at. Incidentally I mostly use lanthenated 1.0mm electrodes, sharped with a fine diamond wheel, for these thinner steel under the amperage under 50A with 500Hz pulse.
    For a couple of months lately I tried aluminium thin sheet, gauge #22 but this attempt was terrible too, lol. In these thin aluminium sheet, the arc wonders too in the minimum amperage, e.g. 10A in ENAC. Instead, for # 14 to #16 not very bad in butt and T-joint since the arc does not wonder so much in higher amperages.
    My question is if O/F with small torch can give you easier maneuverability of the puddles in thin aluminium sheet welding? like the way I feel better results in thin steel sheet?
    Appreciate your advice please, thanks in ahead.
    Chy
    Oxy-A (Koike, Sakaguchi)
    HITACHI Inverter Pair 300GP(AC/DC TIG)

Comment

The GSXR frame 100% GTAW, forget trying to gas weld it, the tubing can be worked with on A/C current, if the heavy castings are involved plan on using some helium mixed in your argon and possibly going with D/C electrode negative to get the penetration.

Thin sheet metal sometimes responds well to small amounts (20-30%) of helium added to the argon.
      Last edited by Vintage Racer; 01-12-2018, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Good evening Vintage Racer thanks, appreciate nice information on thinner steel sheet, will have a chance to try helium someday.

Still I do not want to give up O/F welding for aluminium though, will look forward to having more tips from any pros who have good experiences. Thanks.
        Chy
        Oxy-A (Koike, Sakaguchi)
        HITACHI Inverter Pair 300GP(AC/DC TIG)

Comment

Working...
        X