Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TIG on .050" 3003-H14 Aluminum

MIG on .188" Cold Rolled Steel

The only stupid question is the one that never got asked.

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddy View Post
        No need to apologize,I make it a habit to know what the going rate for my work is and to also find out what the most profitable things happen to be at the moment, I am a firm believer in charging the most the market will bear.Why work for less than what you can get? If you go to the auto parts store to buy a part do you think they have not checked what their competitors are charging for that same part? Of course they do and so do most other retailers,thats just business.Mike
        Don,t worry yourself,an apologe never crossed my mind not even once.
        BB402D
        TB300D
        DIMENSION652
        MM250X
        MAXSTAR140
        S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
        HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

ZT those are some nice welds! I hope to be that good someday.
          DYNASTY 200SD
          COOLMATE 1
          MM140AS
          SPOOLMATE 100
          SPECTRUM 625 X-TREME
          SPECTRUM 125C

Comment

hey ztfab, nice welds. on the dom tubing how are you gettin the welds that wide. are you doing circles, or a j from the top? pulsing the pedal at all? just curios. i like the way they turned out dam near perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by spence648 View Post
              hey ztfab, nice welds. on the dom tubing how are you gettin the welds that wide. are you doing circles, or a j from the top? pulsing the pedal at all? just curios. i like the way they turned out dam near perfect.
              Thanks spence. No funny business with the torch. Straight, linear torch movements, steady pedal, and plenty of filler.

IMO, most people starve the weld of filler and that is why they lack throat depth and/or toe width.

Comment

ok thanks ztfab. but that info just leads me too one more question. lol. did you use 1/16 filler and push it in or 3/32 ?

Comment

.045" and feed the sh!t out of it.

I prefer smaller fillers for better puddle control.

Comment

I just noticed that those were Mig welds on the cold rolled steel. How the heck did you get such a nice pattern? Even the Mig welds I thought were decent that I laid down look nothing like that. I thought they were tig when I just looked at them really quickly. Looks like I've got a long way to go.
                    DYNASTY 200SD
                    COOLMATE 1
                    MM140AS
                    SPOOLMATE 100
                    SPECTRUM 625 X-TREME
                    SPECTRUM 125C

Comment

I think they were stitch welded...if you look at the backside of every single nugget, theres a touch of...for lack of a better term in my mind right now...slag.

That slight discoloration/slag puddle at the back side of all of them only happens if you pull the trigger, finish the weld, move the gun, repeat. ZT, please feel free to correct me if thats not what you did...but from my experience, thats how it looks to me. Also doesnt look like the last one "feeds" into the next, it doesnt have a pointed end, its completely round.
                      Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Comment

Originally posted by dpansier View Post
                        Best welding I've seen on Aluminum, this guy is gifted.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...=1282128&postc
                        I think I went to high school with that guy. I am going to have to look into it.

Comment

i dont think they look stitch welded. it looks to me like he pushed foward then moved backwards and let the puddle grab the edges.

zt thanks for the info. .045 wow i never would of guessed that. im gonna practice trying to get my tig weld beads to look like that on steal. right now if i want to get a wide tig bead i do a weave or move the torch in circles(wich is hard to be consistant for me). but i like the looks of yours much better.
                          Last edited by spence648; 08-20-2009, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by On fire most of the time View Post
                            I think they were stitch welded...if you look at the backside of every single nugget, theres a touch of...for lack of a better term in my mind right now...slag.

That slight discoloration/slag puddle at the back side of all of them only happens if you pull the trigger, finish the weld, move the gun, repeat. ZT, please feel free to correct me if thats not what you did...but from my experience, thats how it looks to me. Also doesnt look like the last one "feeds" into the next, it doesnt have a pointed end, its completely round.
                            no, its a solid weld, basically like whipping some 6010. and the slag you mentioned is actually silicon that melted out of the electrode and solidified on the top of the weld, where it cooled after the arc was moved.

also, the pointed end that you menioned generally means too much heat.

(boy, its been a while since i've been on here)
                            sigpic
                            Miller Trailblazer 302
                            Smith Torch Outfit
                            Lots of Grinders
                            Miller Elite Autodark Hood
                            O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by On fire most of the time View Post

Originally posted by welderdude402 View Post
                              no, its a solid weld, basically like whipping some 6010. and the slag you mentioned is actually silicon that melted out of the electrode and solidified on the top of the weld, where it cooled after the arc was moved.

also, the pointed end that you menioned generally means too much heat.

(boy, its been a while since i've been on here)
                              Welderdude has it correct....all of my welds are continuous, no "trigger" welding. That is for people who don't know how to weld.

Comment

Originally posted by spence648 View Post
                                i dont think they look stitch welded. it looks to me like he pushed foward then moved backwards and let the puddle grab the edges.

zt thanks for the info. .045 wow i never would of guessed that. im gonna practice trying to get my tig weld beads to look like that on steal. right now if i want to get a wide tig bead i do a weave or move the torch in circles(wich is hard to be consistant for me). but i like the looks of yours much better.
                                No problem spence. If you want to get good at feeding, try welding aluminum with .045" filler. I use it often and have become used to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X