Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

nice welds

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nice welds

reading a dodge bulletin board, saw this photo of a gusseted front axle. these welds are really pretty.

this material is probably fairly thick. what type of welder would make this bead and what material do you think they used on this part? mild steel ... cromoly ... TIG ... MIG ?? there is some talented folks out there in this world, jeeze...i really suck.

maybe i need to spend more time cleaning and preping the area to be welded, get a good ground and dont weld until i am more comfortable with my hand position.

definitley TIG welds for sure. and that is some amazing welds.

Comment

I've seen some pulse mig welds look like tig. But I would say thats looking like tig

Comment

As a rookie welder I am always amazed when I see welds like that.If anyone can answer this I would appreciate it.HOW do you get such wide weld beads?I am assuming a large tungsten and high amps while moving very quickly otherwise it seems you would get way too much heat in the part,any input would be appreciated.Mike

Comment

Moving side to side. This guy has a very steady hand. Looks almost robotic.

Comment

Nice welds

Best welding I've seen on Aluminum, this guy is gifted.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...=1282128&postc

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddy View Post
              As a rookie welder I am always amazed when I see welds like that.If anyone can answer this I would appreciate it.HOW do you get such wide weld beads?I am assuming a large tungsten and high amps while moving very quickly otherwise it seems you would get way too much heat in the part,any input would be appreciated.Mike
              Looks like they were "walking the cup" for the wide beads... common in TIG pipe welding. High amps and fast movement. It look's like your trying to drive the torch down into the piece being welded.

Comment

Have Faith Boys and Girls

It looks like so far we all agree Tig. As far as materials I would say mild steel. And the ball joint mounts are going to be cast steel alloy, not cast iron. And just think in time we all could and will weld like this. We have to keep the faith..CAN I GET AN AMEN.??????
                Bob

Comment

Originally posted by urch55 View Post
                  It looks like so far we all agree Tig. As far as materials I would say mild steel. And the ball joint mounts are going to be cast steel alloy, not cast iron. And just think in time we all could and will weld like this. We have to keep the faith..CAN I GET AN AMEN.??????
                  Bob
                  I don't think I have enough time left to get that good!

Comment

Go for the Gold.

Originally posted by nocheepgas View Post
                    I don't think I have enough time left to get that good!
                    Aww lets have some more positive speaking and thinking than that.

Comment

Originally posted by dpansier View Post
                      Best welding I've seen on Aluminum, this guy is gifted.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...=1282128&postc
                      these welds are pure amazing, i had to save all of the pics to my comp for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddy View Post
                        Here are two videos showing a weaved tig weld:

Half way thru this video the welder does a second pass weaving the torch
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQKTx_ZPvl0

and....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A2tK1x1P28

hope this helps!!

Comment

Originally posted by racing_dave View Post
                          Here are two videos showing a weaved tig weld:

Half way thru this video the welder does a second pass weaving the torch
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQKTx_ZPvl0

and....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A2tK1x1P28

hope this helps!!
                          Awesome video. The second one was cool. I would have had 100 starts and stops on that flange

Comment

The second vid is "walking the cup" .

Comment

Wow those are very nice hopefully I get that good one day. TIG takes some time to get that steady hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.