No announcement yet.

need help with hack shaft nut ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more thought.. There is generally no reason for a left hand thread if nut is normally castled and cotter pinned on... So I would think it would be right hand....

Comment

its not cotter pinned on.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

I thought I read something about some form of mechanical retention that had been removed.. My bad...

Comment

oh, yep you did. the top of the nut has a ring you bend into a notch.
          i get your point about it not being reverse if its locked in. i was just thinking due to the rotation of the wheel it may be a safety thing ?? better to ask now then to break it and have to ask how to fix it later.

I'm going to take another shot at it today. nice weather out so i may as well take advantage of it right. good excuse to go out and play with my tools and or shop. we got my step mom ( the first one and our favorite) coming over later for easter dinner and stuff planed for the kids, so i need an excuse to get out and play.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

what day is it again ??

oops!!! i just went and woke up the wife so she could get the easter baskets ready for the kids, DUUUUUU its not till tomorrow.
            needless to say the wife did not appreciate the early wake up call just to tell me its tomorrow.
            on the bright side, i still have an excuse to get out of the house. so now i can get away before she finishes waking up and starts her true attack for the wake up call.

well I'm off to play so have a great day all and I'll keep ya posted on the nut problem. that didn't sound right.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
              seems like i saw some replacement bands for the boots, so with a little luck i will be ale to get it off without any damage. I'll give it another try tomorrow, I'm shot for the day now. but i did get some much needed shop cleaning done.
              What car is this??

Griff

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                i have a 4' fence pole over my largest breaker bar now. my brother is comming out tomarow so i'll have him give me a hand.

i'll try the jack under the breaker bar idea if all else fails, man that puppie is on tight.
                Can you get a new nut? Maybe it's time to crack the nut and replace it. Drill a small hole parallel to the spindle and crack it with a chisel . . . Click image for larger version

Name:	hex_nut.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	504264

Jim
                Dynasty 300DX
                MM350P
                Hobart Handler 120
                Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
                Smith AR/He Mixer

Comment

I know on my Honda one side of the car is reverse tread so that in any case things are loose the nut wont spin off driving down the road.

Comment

Broken wire # 34 aead 200le

Hi there.... For some reason I cannot post a new thread? Yes, I'm logged in, but heck... I'm brain dead or what, ha!

Okay, help... I have a broken wire marked number 34 from the negative terminal of the ignition coil, and the drawing shows that it goes to the power weld switch. Should be easy eh... not on your life it is... I cannot see where this wire has come off from, nor is there a terminal that has lost a wire, despite the wire end having the remains of a terminal attached.

SYMPTOM: For some reason, when the switch S1 is moved from the weld to power, the move kills the engine. Does this number 34 wire have a baring on this function?

Help would be appreciated. email g6ypk@yahoo.com
                    Kind regards
                    Tony

Comment

nikodell
                      i know on my Honda one side of the car is reverse tread so that in any case things are loose the nut wont spin off driving down the road

thats what i was thinking.

car is a subaru legacy wagon 1994
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      JAMES

Comment

Most half shafts are splined to the axle bearing so the nuts are captive and thus do not require left hand threads. Where as on vehicles without splines the left hand nuts are to prevent it from backing off, as with non driven wheels.

Peace,
                        Paul

Comment

g6ypk
                          i posted your question for you. try e-mailing or PM ing admin tosee if she can get you posting again.
                          good luck
                          thanks for the help
                          ......or..........
                          hope i helped
                          sigpic
                          JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by 4sfed View Post
                            Can you get a new nut? Maybe it's time to crack the nut and replace it. Drill a small hole parallel to the spindle and crack it with a chisel . . . [ATTACH]17840[/ATTACH]

Jim
                            not a bad idea. I know Honda recommends that you do not reuse the axle nut, and they sound like they they are retained in a similar fashion to yours.
                            Millermatic 180 Auto Set

Comment

i'll stop into auto zone and see if the nut is gettable threw local or have to go dealer for it ?? maybe napa ?

still waiting on my brother to show up and help out, giving up on that one i think i'll explore other options.
                              what a pain in the arrsss one little nut cam be.

thanks all
                              thanks for the help
                              ......or..........
                              hope i helped
                              sigpic
                              JAMES

Comment

There are a lot of articles out on this subject. I've looked at quite a few
                                of them myself, but I didn't find one that did it just the way I wanted, and
                                from the many different designs, it looks like a lot of people have their
                                own idea of just what it should do, and how it should be built.
                                One idea I found useful was a way to attach the leadscrew mounts to
                                the ends of the lathe. This came from J.R. Bentley's impressive web site.
                                You can read more about his projects

uggs
                                Urban Wear for men

Comment

Working...
                                X