Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Axle Truss ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle Truss ?

Hey guys, I'm a newb to the site and gettin back into welding after a really long break,(like high school)!
    I am working on a 94 Jeep, D44 & D30, chromemoly axles in both, ARB in the 44.
    I would like to truss both axles as a project
    If I remember right, I can't weld mild steel to the cast iron pumkin-head ?
    I've got a MM252, can it be MIG welded , can it even be stick welded ?
    Or whats the best possible may to truss these things ?
    I would really appreciate all comments.
    Thanks guys Jon

I have seen several different truss designs for axles. one that I remember they used a piece of flat bar across the pumpkin and contoured it and then coped a piece of tubing to fit the shape. then on the other end it was coped to the tube and it was only welded on the two ends not in the center.

Another design was was merely reinforcements, fitted to the pumpkin and tapered to the axle tube. Not knowing that axle I would used the top method.

If you have a torch you can heat and beat the piece into a shape close to the contour of the pumpkin, then heat it and clamp it into position and hit it with a dead blow hammer to fit the final shape. Once it is shaped and welded to the ends it should not move. Also if your posative it has to be welded then NI99 rod can be used on Cast Iron. Its a nickle rod and it burns really soft so it takes a delicate touch.

Best of luck,
    Paul

Comment

Ive heard the common add on trusses (the bars under the center out to the spring mounts) typically pull the axles out of alignment. Apparently the guys that put them on get them too tight and pull the axle tubes in a downward arch.

Comment

Thanks guys

Paul & Flyingpig, in that order.
        Paul, thats a good idea, I appreciate it.
        I think I could run the truss the length of the tube and right at the pumpkin, go up and over, and maybe even web it in 2 places, and gusset the webs.??

Flyinpig, I'm running the truss up on top of the diff, I don't want to loose ground clearence, but I do appreciate the thought about stressing the axles, don't want to do that, they were pretty spendy.
        Thank you both..

Jon

Comment

I know I've seen them welded, the axle tubes are typically plug welded to the center sections. I believe the center sections (diff) are cast steel, and not cast iron and as such probably are very weldable. If you're going to TIG it I'd probably try "missile rod" which is great at mixed metals.
          Last edited by nocheepgas; 04-02-2009, 09:52 PM.

Comment

I think your right..

Originally posted by nocheepgas View Post
            I know I've seen them welded, the axle tubes are typically plug welded to the center sections. I believe the center sections (diff) are cast steel, and not cast iron and as such probably are very weldable. If you're going to TIG it I'd probably try "missile rod" which is great at mixed metals.
            Nocheepgas, I think your right, sorry!
            I know their cast, I just assumed they were cast iron.
            So, if it's cast steel, could it be Mig welded ?
            I don't have a Tig, yet.
            Thanks Jon

Comment

The center section is NOT cast steel! It is cast iron.

Comment

so.....can they be welded?

Comment

Originally posted by bamacpl View Post
                  so.....can they be welded?

Yes.

I warm the center section up a bit with the O/A torch, weld with nickle rod, then wrap it up in a welding blanket until it cools. Never any problems.

Small non-critical stuff, I have migged without any problems, but I wouldn't chance a truss.

Comment

Originally posted by TS-Off-Road View Post
                    Yes.

I warm the center section up a bit with the O/A torch, weld with nickle rod, then wrap it up in a welding blanket until it cools. Never any problems.

Small non-critical stuff, I have migged without any problems, but I wouldn't chance a truss.
                    TS, I think I'll bag it and try and work around the pumpkin, challenge my brain ya know
                    Thanks all
                    Jon

Comment

straightshot....LMK what you come up with, Im in the process of doing exactly what you're doing...I can even show you what I've come up with so far.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...highlight=link

Comment

bamacpl, I'm just in the planning stages here.
                        I will keep ya posted, I'm asking some questions at the local shops, we'll see what happens.
                        Hey, I tried to click on that Pirate 4x4 link and it said "page couldn't display" don't know if it's just my laptop (I'm out of town) or if there was a problem with the link ?
                        I'd be real interested in your project, if your willing to share, I'd love to see it.
                        Thanks Jon

Comment

the link works fine for me?

If you can't view it that way go to www.pirate4x4.com & go to the International Harvester forum & the title is:

scout 4 link build

Comment

Diffy housings are generally a nodular or ductile iron, definitley not run of the mill cast iron. As such they are weldable with MIG. TS, if you've welded small stuff without problem you'll have noticed this. When welding cast iron with MIG it behaves oddly (it seems to burn the cast away and leave you mig weld puddled in the middle, and is also porous) and you will not get fusion. With ductile/nodular, or cast steel the MIG welds have decent fusion and look just fine. If any body doubts this try weling up a known cast iron part (exhaust manifold, water pump housing etc), as soon as you do you'll KNOW the difference.

Comment

I messed around with it yesterday....used some 289 nickel rods. Seemed to weld ok,,,,, we'll se?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.