Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chrome Moly tube welding?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chrome Moly tube welding?

    Any help on welding frame for go-kart? A buddy has a son with a hotrod go- kart and they want to put a different engine in it and they need one of the cross bars moved. I have welded many years but never chrome moly. Any help would be good!!!

  • #2
    This ain't gonna be good.

    Comment


    • #3
      Chrome Moly welding?

      Hey i'm looking for some info on welding chrome moly tubing. My buddies' son has a go kart and they want to put a bigger engine on it so they need to move one of the cross bars. I have been welding for quite a few years but mainly on things quite a bit larger( D-8, D-9, ect.) I have a Trailblazer 302 w/ 12 RC wire feeder and a Dynasty 200 DX. Need to know the best process and what wire or filler metal to use. Thanks...

      Comment


      • #4
        I read on the Internet somewhere that you should weld it with oxy-acetylene...

        Comment


        • #5
          Lots of stuff on this subject.
          Do a search. You'll find enough stuff to make your eyes hurt.

          Long and short of it is...I'd tig it with ER80S-D2 or ER70-S2.

          Andy

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks, andy

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ROD BURNER View Post
              Hey i'm looking for some info on welding chrome moly tubing. My buddies' son has a go kart and they want to put a bigger engine on it so they need to move one of the cross bars. I have been welding for quite a few years but mainly on things quite a bit larger( D-8, D-9, ect.) I have a Trailblazer 302 w/ 12 RC wire feeder and a Dynasty 200 DX. Need to know the best process and what wire or filler metal to use. Thanks...
              Well if you had searched this topic you would have found about 84 pages dealing with this subject. The short story is, with what you have, Tig with ER70S-2. Stresses on the joint will determine if you need to perform any post weld operation.
              -Aaron

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                I read on the Internet somewhere that you should weld it with oxy-acetylene...
                If the OP had said he had that as an option I would have suggested it

                Comment


                • #9
                  One thing to keep in mind, on a Kart the suspension is the flex in the frame. In the wet, most of the bracing comes off, on a high grip track bracing goes on.

                  If you are changing cross bars, that part needs to stay in line, engine and axle sprockets that is.

                  Keep an eye on the welds when you are running it, the frames move and twist a lot on the track, especially in high g turns.

                  So what are you changing from, to?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ROD BURNER View Post
                    Any help on welding frame for go-kart? A buddy has a son with a hotrod go- kart and they want to put a different engine in it and they need one of the cross bars moved. I have welded many years but never chrome moly. Any help would be good!!!
                    Well, if the frame fails they will blame you, and if the is injury involved, they will come after you. Yes Dad is all for it, but Mom will hang you ass. Having never welded chrome moly, I dint think this is the place to learn.
                    Just my $.02

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I didnt think welding chrome molly is all that hard to weld. Copper nickel on the other hand, well lets just say it took some practice.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        There's a few ways to weld it wrong.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Being "easy to weld" has different meanings to the guy doing the welding, and the guy doing the engineering. Often times the "ease" of welding by the weldor, is falsely interpurted as geing easily welded from an engineering point of view. From a weldors point of view, 2024 aluminum is easily welded, and beautiful looking welds quite common. Unfortunately they arent worth a darn as is to the engineer.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Yep,

                            I'd just get the old 302 Trailblazer out, hook up my 30 Amp spoolgun, and mig that dang old chrome molly. Nuthin to it a little practice won't fix.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                              Yep,

                              I'd just get the old 302 Trailblazer out, hook up my 30 Amp spoolgun, and mig that dang old chrome molly. Nuthin to it a little practice won't fix.
                              LMAO 30 amp spool gun, haha I remember that.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.