Trailer Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Question

I want to build a trailer for two quads. What I am wondering is which way should the deck stringers go? I am told that from the left side to the right side is the way to go (Pic1). I have been known to go overboard when building stuff, a common problem with steel burners I think, but to me running them length wise (Pic2) would give me a more rigid deck, keeping in mind the axle will be the fulcrum. The deck is going to be 10' by 5' with the axle 6" inches to the rear of center.

Any help would be great, thanks.
    Attached Files

Not quite sure how running the structure lengthwise would give you a stiffer deck myself. I'll assume (you know what they say about that), that your axels will mount to the outer rails. That being the case those members will determine the lengthwise stiffness. If they are the same on both designs they should bow about the same "in theory", regardless if the load transfers from the sides as in pict one (assuming the trailer's evenly loaded) or from the ends in pict 2. Cross stiffness would come from depth of the members and how they join to the load bearing rails. In this case I would think that pict 1 with more cross rails would give you a stiffer floor in twist. Almost every trailer/ truck bed I can think of uses a design like pict 1.

Think about how you plan to deck a 5X10 trailer. If you use plywood you either need a 5'wide or 10' long sheet in pict 2. It's available but costly. Most landscape/equip. trailers I see use a design like pict 1. The cut down 4x8 sheets of ply or sheet steel, fall on a crossrail or the 2x's run length ways front to back and sit on all the cross rails.

Good luck.

Comment

What size are the quads no.one? Do you want to haul them side by side or one behind the other? How heavy gvwr are you looking for?

Comment

The crossmembers must be placed from side to side to give the trailer any strength and rigidity. Running the crossmembers lengthwise will result in a very weak and unsafe trailer.
        If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
        Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Comment

I agree the best way is to have the cross members running side to side, but i have a 7 ton trailer with three longitudinal frame members and no cross members.

Comment

You need both

You need both, also your deck needs to be securely attached for additional stiffness.

Comment

if you've got big 4x4 quads like a Grizzly, I'm not sure both are going to fit on a 5x10.

On my Big Tex 3500# 5X10 (which I had a hard time trying down 2 sport bikes on), the stringers run between the side rails, the deck is 2X8, screwed to each of the stringers. Since the deck has rotted out, I'm seriously considering redecking mine with AL diamond plate.

this going to be a flat deck trailer or have sides?
              Bobcat 225NT
              Cutmaster 52
              Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
              Caterpillar TH63
              '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Thanks guys

Thanks for the information.
                Looks like from side to side is the winner. I didn't put them in the pics but I am going to weld in stiffeners between the stringers.

Thanks again, when it's done I'll post pics.

Comment

Listen to dabar39 when building trailers. He's built one or two.
                  Jim

Comment

Here's a link to my trailer project I did a couple years ago.
                    Thought it might help you along with your project.
                    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...railer+project

Good luck.
                    Andy

Comment

Good to here from you Andy. How goes the schedule for race season for you.Bet that foreman you had on trailer project has grew a bit since then.
                      252 Miller Mig
                      180 Synchrowave
                      R - 45 Milling Machine
                      Kingston 1100 Lathe
                      Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Comment

It's been a little hectic but we keep on trudging along like everyone else
                        My schedule for this year is a little less than last. I should be out of town only 19 times or roughly 85 days

I may even get my vacation in this year.....

My little buddy is 6 year old now. He still likes the shop. Last week we built a little "robot" out of scrap metal. He likes to draw things out and make me build them
                        I'll get him under a hood soon.

A-

Comment

Left to Right

I Alwase go left to right for the main purpose that it stiffens the frame and also helps from from the trailer twising. I have built Many diffrent types of trailers as small as 5x10 utilty trailer to 8x50 semi log trailers and going ;eft to right is the industry standerd

Comment

A Yamaha Grizzly is 81.3" long, almost 7 feet. To get two on a trailer, you'll need 14 feet.

If you use a plywood deck, you could place 4 cross members under each of the ATV's axles for deck support. A steel deck wouldn't care.
                            RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X