Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.


  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best welder for.......

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best welder for.......

    I am looking for a good economy tig machine to weld together mini sprint chassis with. I am not looking to spend a lot of money and would like any tips and helpful hints. I am looking at the econotig series. The question I have is can I buy longer leads for the machine? If so, where can I buy them from???

    Zeb

  • #2
    You should be looking at the Diversion 165 or Sync 200. Both far better than the econotig

    Comment


    • #3
      For the record, I have not tried it yet but the new Diversion 165 looks like your best call. As to extending the leads,,,, Call the Tig help line and they will have all the facts. Most tig machines can allow for lengthening.

      Good luck
      Paul

      Comment


      • #4
        Dynasty 200DX is the only way to go.

        Yes much more money but well worth it and it will hold much more of its value for resale.

        Comment


        • #5
          The dynasty is an awesome machine but for the value consious it is a reach. If the majority of the work is cromoly, the maxstar 150 with the tig package is a nice machine. We have one at a job I have been working at and it is good for its designed thicknesses and only a DC machine, so no aluminum capability.

          FatFab No disrespect intended, I love my dynasty but it has taken me years to understand all the machines capabilities.

          Peace,
          Paul

          Comment


          • #6
            Econotig????

            I`am confused why is everyone downing the econotig? Maybe I should have started another thread. I have owned a econotig since they came out new,have never had any problems with it and I have ask it to go beyond the call of duty without any failures. Yes I have used other Tig machines with success. Please tell me why the econotig is cr@#p

            Comment


            • #7
              econotig

              Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am new at this so i dont know alot. However, for the money i think the econotig is great. I know it will do what i need it to!!!!!

              Zeb

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by KC1 View Post
                I`am confused why is everyone downing the econotig? Maybe I should have started another thread. I have owned a econotig since they came out new,have never had any problems with it and I have ask it to go beyond the call of duty without any failures. Yes I have used other Tig machines with success. Please tell me why the econotig is cr@#p
                I don't believe anyone called it crap...it's just at the bottom rung and is now being discontinued

                Comment


                • #9
                  i have never used the econtig but it is basicly a buzz box with a solenoid for the gas from what i've seen. Can anyone really say the buzz box is cr@%. thousands of welders use a buzz box every day to repair or build something and it all seems to work for them. I used a buzz box for smaw for years on my fathers farm never had a failed weld. I know tig is a bit different than stick but I've also seen an alternator with a tig torch make a solid weld. I know the balance, post flow and all the other cool features on other welders help but aren't required needed with the right adjustment and skill. Don't take this a hit dogging anyones skill or opinion, but think about all the good welds made before inverters or with complex transformers. just my 2 cents

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ive known many a traveling aircraft weldor that would carry an O/A set and an Econotig to various airports. Its a dated machine, I would suggest the Diversion 165 and a decent O/A setup to do it right. No you dont need all the bells and whistles of the Dynasty. Milions of structures constructed of 4130 tubing were built with beautiful and reliable welds for years before all the latest gizmos, and even before Tig itself was available. You dont need the newest anything to do the job well, just the right attitude , materials and knowledge. That being said the Diversion may be the newest, but its also more basic and down to earth, plus it saves the discs in your back if you ever move it. The Econotig is no feather.
                    -Aaron

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                      I don't believe anyone called it crap...it's just at the bottom rung and is now being discontinued
                      Good point! If you ever want to sell the Econotig, you probably won't get 1/2 your money back. Diversion 165, you won't be maxing out your machine and will give you a better trade-in value when you up to a 200dx or similar....
                      If your heart IS set on a Econotig, then they should give you a better price, since they are phasing them out!!! Compare prices to your LWS and eBay like from IOC and such....still get a 3 year warranty
                      good luck
                      bert
                      Last edited by Bert; 12-27-2008, 11:24 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Aerometalworker View Post
                        That being said the Diversion may be the newest, but its also more basic and down to earth, plus it saves the discs in your back if you ever move it. The Econotig is no feather.
                        -Aaron
                        WOW! The Econotig is 90lbs heavier!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I would buy a Riland inverter (www.rilandusa.com) long before an Econotig if I was doing much aluminum myself. Sure you can get by with buzzbox type technology but why would you want to when spending hard earned cash with making money in mind?? Just because it is a Miller doesn't make it something better than it is.
                          Used...maybe. New....no way in H E L L!!!
                          It is certainly not crap just outdated...sorta like buying a brand new computer with Windows 98

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                            I would buy a Riland inverter (www.rilandusa.com) long before an Econotig if I was doing much aluminum myself. Sure you can get by with buzzbox type technology but why would you want to when spending hard earned cash with making money in mind?? Just because it is a Miller doesn't make it something better than it is.
                            Used...maybe. New....no way in H E L L!!!
                            It is certainly not crap just outdated...sorta like buying a brand new computer with Windows 98
                            Maybe its just the American in me....but I would buy a US made torch set long before any welder from china if money was such an issue. I have a feeling it would be 10 times more versatile and about 100 times as reliable.
                            -Aaron

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Aerometalworker View Post
                              Maybe its just the American in me....but I would buy a US made torch set long before any welder from china if money was such an issue. I have a feeling it would be 10 times more versatile and about 100 times as reliable.
                              -Aaron
                              I was merely presenting another option...one that I considered heavily until I decided 120v capability was the only way to fly for me.
                              I understand how you feel and myself when I buy American I try to make it count. But when you look at just the lower priced stuff even the Diversion doesn't compare with some of the better foreign machines IMO.
                              Never heard a bad word yet about those 200 amp AC/DC Riland tigs yet.
                              But I firmly believe in a torch set that is for sure

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.