Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picket Twister

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picket Twister

Im trying to make a picket twister. I'm basically set on my idea of a gear reducer and a electric motor. My question is, does anyone know what kinda of torque it would take to twist .5 square stock? I'd be twisting lengths of 6 feet. I seen one on ebay for about 100 bucks and in has an output torque of 700 foot lbs. Any torque specs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gregory

I built a human powered one. Its on my second floor and i can twist 16' pcs with ease. I just walk around the twister like a horse tied to a circus ride. Mine has a 3' handle and i use about 30" of it. It doesn't take much effort its more of tiring dizzy motion walking in a small circle because you have to keep pressure on the barstock until done. Someday i may add my 60:1 gearbox/motor to it if i did more with it but i can twist 10 or 15 parts 15" long in about 15 minutes...Bob
    Attached Files

Comment

Picket Twister

I made one using a old pipe threading machine. It is set on a bench I made with a adjustable tail stock,so I can make different lenght pickets. It will twist 1/2 to 3/4 solid square stock like butter. It takes less than 30 seconds to twist a 40" picket. Turn it on and count rotations.

Comment

do a search, some one showed off theirs a wile back. great piece of work..

Comment

watch ebay and craigslist for pipethreaders.

the old oster machines show up quite often.

Comment

somewhere on the interwebs i saw a scroll bender plate adapted to a pipe threader. i cant seem to find it now

Comment

Originally posted by KFCHambone View Post
              Im trying to make a picket twister. I'm basically set on my idea of a gear reducer and a electric motor. My question is, does anyone know what kinda of torque it would take to twist .5 square stock? I'd be twisting lengths of 6 feet. I seen one on ebay for about 100 bucks and in has an output torque of 700 foot lbs. Any torque specs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gregory
              I know you ask for torque specs which I can't help. A unit that puts out 700 ft lbs must have a v-8 engine on it. I made a twister some years back that may help you. If you click on my youtube link below...you'll find a video of my electric picket twister and other stuff.

Comment

If you have a tractor, you can make an adapter for the pto, and put the stock in a vice on the other end.

Comment

Originally posted by chasew27 View Post
                  If you have a tractor, you can make an adapter for the pto, and put the stock in a vice on the other end.
                  I would NOT do that unless you really gear down the PTO, barstock spinning at 540 or 1000 RPM would be *dangerous*

Comment

Originally posted by ctrhenry View Post
                    somewhere on the interwebs i saw a scroll bender plate adapted to a pipe threader. i cant seem to find it now
                    My powered scroller with a 60:1 gearbox...Bob
                    Attached Files

Comment

Another gearbox/motor pic. I use this setup on 3 different machines so its portable. Its all bolted to a 3" angle so i just adapt the angle to my next project and line it up...Bob
                      Attached Files

Comment

nice set up

more pictures

Comment

Here is the gearbox set up on my slip rolls with the guard removed for picture taking...Bob
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Zebu Fellenz View Post
                            I would NOT do that unless you really gear down the PTO, barstock spinning at 540 or 1000 RPM would be *dangerous*
                            The tractor PTOs only turn their rated rpm (540 or 1000) when the engine is at its rated rpm (usually almost full throttle). I have one tractor that at idle only turns 148 rpm. Can be very useful for those slow turning machines.

Comment

I have a very simple picket twister that does 1/2" and 3/8" square bar. No pics, but let me try to explain it. I took a length of 1" .120 square tubing and welded a piece of 1" pipe to the side near the "top" end. I went to the pawn shop and found old sockets are will just fit inside the pipe. One is a 3/8" and the other is a 1/2" drive. On those I welded "T" handles. My 3/8" is about 24" long and the handle for the 1/2" is about 40" long. Now, on the other end I just made a receiver that the square stock will drop into. One side is for 1/2" and the other holds 3/8". The receiver slides on the 1" tubing. I can twist up to about 4 ft stuff, but a longer piece of 1" tubing would extend that if I needed it. I put an ear on the side of the 1" tubing so that I can secure this thing in my vise. It's very simple to use and I've twisted a lot of square bar with it. I'll get pics if anybody is that interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.