Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery Charger

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Charger

Who makes the best portable battery charger?

Just to clarify, I mean a car battery charger
    Last edited by NAS-NAS; 12-01-2008, 01:37 PM.

Radio Shack. It keeps my mp3 player running just fine...

Comment

The best I ever had was a thing made by Schumacher called a Mity Mite, I will have to look at the model number but it has outlasted everything else. Fully automatic and not real powerful, just right as not to burn it up.

Comment

Originally posted by NAS-NAS View Post

I had a Schumacher 6/12 Volt 2/10/50 amp charge with 125/250 amp start. It was darn good until it burnt up - not sure what happened there. Replaced it with an Associated model 6009 with 265 amp engine start - had it for several years now and appears to be a very nice machine - except for the plastic knobs that continually seem to get loose

Just a couple of weeks ago I bought a Schumacher 2/6/10 amp speed charger that does regular batteries, deep cycle batteries, and AGM / Gell Cell bateries (Optima) and has a desulfation mode - it actually resurrected an old battery I had in my plow truck. Here is a link for more info on it:

http://store.schumachermart.com/sc-1000a.html

Comment

Originally posted by NAS-NAS View Post

You need to be a little more specific,do you want the ability to start a car off of it or do you want to maintain a charge.
          http://www.batterytender.com/ http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ame=Automotive

Comment

Schumacher is my choice although I have several, the Sarge Tony Schumacher is the family of choice. Still american made and independantly owned and operated. The way to protect the American way of life is to buy American when ever possible.

God Bless,
            Paul

Comment

chagers

im going to have to say pulsetech they have tenders and rejuvenitors/chagers ive seen them take a battery from revers polarity to starting a m931 5 ton bobtail they are not cheap by any strech of the imagination but they work... well http://www.pulsetech.net/

Comment

Originally posted by willy View Post
                Just a couple of weeks ago I bought a Schumacher 2/6/10 amp speed charger that does regular batteries, deep cycle batteries, and AGM / Gell Cell bateries (Optima) and has a desulfation mode - it actually resurrected an old battery I had in my plow truck. Here is a link for more info on it:

http://store.schumachermart.com/sc-1000a.html
                Thats pretty impressive. It's already paid for itself. I clicked on the link expecting it to be several hundred dollars. Nice to find it's was only $75. Not really any excuse to buy some cheap Chinese junk at that price.

Comment

Originally posted by jweller View Post
                  Thats pretty impressive. It's already paid for itself. I clicked on the link expecting it to be several hundred dollars. Nice to find it's was only $75. Not really any excuse to buy some cheap Chinese junk at that price.
                  Way cheaper than $75 even. I see in Blains Farm and Fleet ad today they are on sale for $39.99. You can order from them online - here is the link:

http://www.farmandfleet.com/catalog/...cher%c2%ae&p=1

Comment

C-Tek, it's the only charger Optima recommends. It's billed as "The Smartest Battery Charger in the World".
                    http://www.ctek.com/EN-US/home/Default.aspx

Comment

Considering that a Standard lead acid battery and an Optima battery will have to perform their duties in production cars that have the same or very similar charging systems. It doesnt seem logical to me that you would need a special smart charger for the Optima batteries. I didnt see any warnings on the label with the Optima I just got. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddy View Post
                        Considering that a Standard lead acid battery and an Optima battery will have to perform their duties in production cars that have the same or very similar charging systems. It doesnt seem logical to me that you would need a special smart charger for the Optima batteries. I didnt see any warnings on the label with the Optima I just got. Mike
                        When I orederd my Optima they specifically recommended C-Tek chargers. They have since updated their web site and give no particular recommendation, but in one of their videos they show using a C-Tek charger. One of the reasons I like my C-Tek, other than it being a "smart" charger is that's way smaller than any other charger I've ever owned. I specifically won't use a "Sears" charger as I have gone through 3 of them with little useage anf lots of failures.

Comment

I havent really heard any feed back lately on Optima batteries. I hope they are as good as the price they charge for them. I have had an Optima in a restored vehicle that sits idle most of the time it only gets started every couple months.The last time I tried to start it the battery was dead and would not accept a charge (battery was two years old) I took it in this month and it was replaced with a new one free of charge under the 3 year replacement warranty. Hopefully it was a fluke. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddy View Post
                            I havent really heard any feed back lately on Optima batteries. I hope they are as good as the price they charge for them. I have had an Optima in a restored vehicle that sits idle most of the time it only gets started every couple months.The last time I tried to start it the battery was dead and would not accept a charge (battery was two years old) I took it in this month and it was replaced with a new one free of charge under the 3 year replacement warranty. Hopefully it was a fluke. Mike
                            I have used MANY Optimas over the years and have found their reliability to be around 75% good, 25% bad.
                            Also, Optima batteries require an AGM charger, especially if the battery is completely dead.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.