Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

weldcraft wp 17

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weldcraft wp 17

Hey people i" ve been tigging along time and using wp17 flexes forever about a month ago i had one blow up like a bullfrog whenever i opened the gas valve i figured what the heck it doesn't owe me anything so on goes a new one and two days later i fired up a new one go to do some tacking and hear and feel a slight crack noise now this one starts too leak and blacken the welds whats up with this any ideas?

Originally posted by squig View Post
    Hey people i" ve been tigging along time and using wp17 flexes forever about a month ago i had one blow up like a bullfrog whenever i opened the gas valve i figured what the heck it doesn't owe me anything so on goes a new one and two days later i fired up a new one go to do some tacking and hear and feel a slight crack noise now this one starts too leak and blacken the welds whats up with this any ideas?
    Totally weird...I wonder if your regulator is shot or something.
    How hot are you running it?? It's only a 150 amp torch.
    2 junkers in a row?

Comment

sanitary welds mostly

no hotter than 85 amps wondering if the glue?lets go after time?

Comment

I have had that happen also.I quit using that type.

Comment

switched over to a pro star and problem gone i still like the feel of the wp17 but buisness is buisness

Comment

Wp-17fh

I was just thinking of getting one of these, but now I may just stick with "old faithful." Hmm, wonder if Weldcraft is aware of this?

Comment

emailed them a week ago to see if it was somthing i was doing wrong because i have a ton of cups, lenses ect. havent heard a word o; well customer service is very important to me as i strive to maintain it for my customers

Comment

heard anything from Weldcraft about your torches yet? If not, take them to the next tent sale in your area and hopefully a Weldcraft rep will be there to give you new torches, or a better one

Comment

Wp-17

Gents,

I am new to the forum and a new owner of a Dynasty 200dx. (new to tig welding all together) I purchased the contractor kit with the weldcraft 150amp air cooled torch and was wondering if I can "purposely" change the angle of the head? Looks like it could flex right behind the backcap but after reading this thread I didn't want to break it?

I have been practicing on some 1/8" aluminum and running upwards of 135 amps and for sure the torch gets pretty warm. I am considering getting a different torch, recomendations anyone?

Thanks,

Tim

Comment

You can usually bend them a little and be okay.A flex head contains a coil to allow it to bend (there are new ones that use a different method).The fixed head torches use a copper tube that can be bent ,but over bending and too much will eventually get the best of it.
                    You have 3 choices about your overheated tig torch.Use a 200 amp torch,a water cooled torch set-up or get another 150 amp torch and hose and swap them out when needed.

Comment

response

Weldcraft and i have have talked and they suggested i switch to the red style as they will handle more heat ? i will keep yall posted

Comment

post pics of it eh? of the old one AND the new one!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.