HARD CORE CHEVY DUDES: I need help!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aerometalworker View Post
    Well as I recall 319 does have about 4% copper and about 6% silicon, so 4145 would be more appropriate. However the question still exists of the actual block alloy. I do have some 4145 if you ever need any, last time I bought it it was $26 a pound. The process of welding cold is interesting, and not something I would normally even consider. I wonder if he is suggesting that to preserve the heat-treat in the surrounding material as much as possible? One would think the best bet would be to have the part re-heat treated after welding. Im still questioning the stain gradients with welding a high silicon/copper casting cold, since the entire part is going to "freeze" at about the same moment unlike using a high silicon filler on a low silicon base metal (i.e. 4043 on 6061 ). In the aircraft world we weld cases, and cylinder heads all the time, normally the cases are 356 and the heads are commonly a242, and eveything is pre-heated to various temperatures depending on heat treatment to avoid stress fractures. Its been done that way for many years. I would be very interested to see case studies of the "cold welding" method on cast material, if there are none....it would make me wonder.
    -Aaron
    Myself I highly question it. I find people doing wild things and getting away with it all the time. Simply a way to get out of heat treat and whatever else that brings?? It was given to me to do as gospel tho. I guess a search on welding 319 will be needed. I have mixed feelings on this one. Thanks again for the info.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

No problem,
      Let me know if you find out any further information. None of my alcoa books even suggests anything like that method, but the newest one is about 8 years old. Im going to pose the question to a co-worker tomorrow, he sits on the aluminum resource board as one of the "fellows".
      -Aaron
      "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
      Miller Dynasty 200DX
      Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
      Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
      Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

Originally posted by Aerometalworker View Post
        No problem,
        Let me know if you find out any further information. None of my alcoa books even suggests anything like that method, but the newest one is about 8 years old. Im going to pose the question to a co-worker tomorrow, he sits on the aluminum resource board as one of the "fellows".
        -Aaron
        Thanks and cool
        I'm gonna call 'em back and dig a little more myself.
        I guess one way to look at it is if it can't grow it can't shrink.
        Sounds more like some of that rollcage junk we were disscussing a few months back but I could be quick to judge.
        Heck and I was thinking the internet was keeping us on the "cutting edge"
        Last edited by FusionKing; 11-06-2008, 07:04 AM.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300
        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Very interesting topic, I look forward to see what else you guys can dig up.
          at home:
          2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
          2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
          2008 Suitcase 12RC
          Spoolmatic 30A
          WC-24
          2009 Dynasty 200DX
          2000 XMT 304
          2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
          Sold:MM130XP
          Sold:MM 251
          Sold:CST 280

at work:
          Invision 350MP
          Dynasty 350
          Millermatic 350P
          Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

It should be 356, thats what My LS1 is, I am pretty sure the LS7 is the same alloy...
            Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
            2000 Camaro SS (Race car)
            sigpic

Comment

You might try Dart Machinery, manufacturer of aluminum blocks and heads for the racing world. They might have some thoughts on the subject as well. I bet they are in the pre-heat camp though. I will be interested to know how your repair goes, JEFF
              200DX 350P 625 Plasma & other stuff I forgot

Comment

Hey Guys,
                Brought this subject up with the fellow at work that should know the answer, multiple PHD , sits on the aluminum resource and alcoa boards, his whole life revolves around aluminum castings. Anyway he gave me a funny look when I mentioned using no pre or post heating when welding on either 319 or 356. He didnt believe the heat treatment in the adjacent area would be affected more one way or another. He also offered that welding it "cold" probably appeared to have worked in a couple situations, but without lab testing it was anyones guess as to how long it would hold up. He could find no mention of it anywhere in any text.
                -Aaron
                "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
                Miller Dynasty 200DX
                Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
                Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
                Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

Block repair

You could try Weston Machine in Piscataway NJ, Charlie Weston. He was known as drag racings best kept secret. All the pros would send him blocks for specialitiy machine work and repair. He does all custom block work and repair. I think his website is westonmachine.com.

Comment

Working...
                  X