Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

welding mask lens colors

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In both my fixed shade helmets I have been using G.W. Harris gold coated lenses. Both my shade 10's, which is basically all I use, have been amber tinted. However I went to plug in a shade9 into my big window and I was suprised to find that the lense had a blue tint to it. I found that I could see the arc and the puddle with exceptional clarity through this lense. I have no idea if all the shade 9 from Harris are like this, or just this particular lense. I have been having a hard time getting my LWS to order the right lenses. None the less, this particular Harris lense has a blue tint.

Don't know if it is the same as the old style lenses you guys are searching for, but I just thought that I would put that out there for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepe View Post
      Don't bother getting one (or 5 for that matter ). They are not the same as the original. They are a Gold plated plastic lens, and the color is green/yellow. They are a cheep knock off of the original clearly made to sell based on name recognition. In short they suck!
      thanx for the info i almost pulled the trigger on those

shorerider16 In both my fixed shade helmets I have been using G.W. Harris gold coated lenses. Both my shade 10's, which is basically all I use, have been amber tinted. However I went to plug in a shade9 into my big window and I was suprised to find that the lense had a blue tint to it. I found that I could see the arc and the puddle with exceptional clarity through this lense. I have no idea if all the shade 9 from Harris are like this, or just this particular lense. I have been having a hard time getting my LWS to order the right lenses. None the less, this particular Harris lense has a blue tint.

Don't know if it is the same as the old style lenses you guys are searching for, but I just thought that I would put that out there for you.

thanx the more leads the better,im having a heack of a time finding any len's by that name? do you have a link for them

thanx!!

Comment

Originally posted by beezaadict View Post
        thanx for the info i almost pulled the trigger on those

thanx the more leads the better,im having a heack of a time finding any len's by that name? do you have a link for them

thanx!!
        I actually looked on-line myself but couldn't find anything. If your local welding shop doesn't have any, try Barry Hamel, I believe this is one of the companies that my LWS get's there supllies from. Sorry if it's a bit of a vague lead, but that's all I've got to go on too.

Comment

Cobalt Blue

The Ore mentioned in this discussion as being mined is cobalt, which was used to achieve the blue color of the lense. There are different types of cobalt. I believe the type used in the lense was cobalt 87, which is not radioactive. Cobalt 89 however is a radioactive material. This lead the Manufacturer to believe that the Cobalt in the lense might put off a small amount of radiation while welding. Manufacturing of the lense was stopped due to this possibility.
          My Dad had two that were given to him while working on the ship yard in Pasagula, Mississippi. He held on to the lenses for years. Eventually, one lense was stolen on another job and one got the corner slightly chipped as someone mentioned here.
          I have searched and searched for the lense. I thought I had found two at a welding supply store in Chicago, only to find out that they were sold the day before. They sold for $200 each. I would most certainly pay $200 for a cobalt blue lense.
          The closest thing I have found is the lincoln super visibilty shade #10. Have no idea if all shades are the same color or not. I always use my Miller elite series hood anyways but would still like to have the cobalt lense for home use. The super visibility lense does however provide what it says. Super Visibility.
          Last edited by boilertrashsam; 02-13-2009, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Weld-Cool Lens

Not sure if this is what some are looking for, AOSafety (American Optical) just re-released the WELD-COOL gold coated blue lens in shade 10 & 12 for 2 x4 1/2 size only. Prices run $39 each but Green Safety Supply .com has them for $29 ea. in both shades, most online outfits have only shade 10. These are not like the other gold coated lens that is not blue, but green or amber.

AOS #84910-00000 shade 10
            AOS #84912-00000 shade 12

I had these when I was in High school in 78 and also had a 2 x4 1/4 glass shade 6 cobalt blue lens from AO for AL welding, but got broken in the move and I think paid $18 back then for them. They were also used in the steel mills and glass blowing biz.

Comment

I have a shade 9 gold lens in my old flip down hood, love it! Would love to try some other colors!

Comment

Not sure that it's exactly what you're looking for, but AOSafety.com has WELD-COOL filter plates in shades 10 and 12: http://209.200.67.149/pdf/headnface/weldcool.pdf

Comment

i have been a boilermaker for goin on 5 years now, about 2 2 and a half years ago i was on a job seal welding with a suitcase and i cane across a fibre metal lens that had a mirrored finish on the front, well... i ended up breaking it in my bucket and when i went to the toolroom to go get another one, somehow i had got the only one out of about a hundred and when i asked the toolroom man if he had seen anymore like it he replied, " we dont have any of those in here, but i have one that has a mirrored finish on it." well he explained that he had had it for about 20 years or so and they dont make them anymore. he said, "here. go ahead and have this one." i didnt really want to take it concidering he had had it for 20 some odd years, but he insisted. i took it.

come to find out it was an american optical weld-cool lens. i fell in love with it immediatley. i have had it in my hood for a couple of years now and you couldnt find a way to get me to part with it. i must say though in those couple years i have put countless hours welding with that lens everything from mig, tig, smaw, stainless tig, stainless stick, stainless mig, pulsed mig, inconel, and miles and miles of carbon, and every inch of puddle i have looked at through that lens i saw crystal clear. more puddle less smoke. i have welded with all sorts of lenses, i even just bought a gold lens (glass), but i just dont like welding w/o that cobalt flame.

i have had many ppl use my hood and ask where to get one, and i myself have wanted to find another one just to have in case mine breaks gets stolen or i just want to give one to a beginning welder with lots of potential. ive never found one though.

thanks to this forum im goona try to get my hands on one or two of those new lenses, but ive never liked those polycarbonate lenses, there too easy to damage, in my line of work i have to put my hood in some pretty rough spots and i find myself taking my lens out quite a bit to change clears or for whatever reason opening up the opprotunity for them to get messed up. and there just not the same as glass.

thanks for the lead on these new weld-cools though im sure theyll be a few people happy to hear about that. and im kinda curious myself

Comment

Original AO Cobalt #12 lens found - for sale

For those that are interested, my dad recently found an ORIGINAL and long discontinued American Optical Weld-Cool plate lens in the Cobalt shade #12. Brand new in envelope, its been stored in a drawer for years. Put up today for sale on ebay item #190353575820
                    He beleives he may have a few more in storage so if found we will post those as well. If you're interested keep an eye on e-Bay. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by weldersdaughter View Post
                      For those that are interested, my dad recently found an ORIGINAL and long discontinued American Optical Weld-Cool plate lens in the Cobalt shade #12. Brand new in envelope, its been stored in a drawer for years. Put up today for sale on ebay item #190353575820
                      He beleives he may have a few more in storage so if found we will post those as well. If you're interested keep an eye on e-Bay. Thanks!
                      For a $175 , no thanks. Smells fishy to me. What was your starting bid ? Highway robbery imo .

Comment

Originally posted by Showdog75 View Post
                        For a $175 , no thanks. Smells fishy to me. What was your starting bid ? Highway robbery imo .
                        Oh no, no, no!
                        Ill bet it goes for over $400.00

Comment

My dad has been in the welding business for over 40 years, I can assure you these are the real thing. He's a bit of a pack rat and god only knows what other antique equipment is laying around in his shop, but he came across this lens and remembered people asking about them. He is keeping one or two for himself because they are now extinct, but is willing to part with this one since there is such high demand. As a welder he knows there is nothing better than this lens. I stand behind my 100% rating on eBay and wouldn't sell anything fake or "fishy".

Comment

You should probably put a mention of this in the AWS forum, and maybe Welding Web .... the more bidders, the better, right?

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                              You should probably put a mention of this in the AWS forum, and maybe Welding Web .... the more bidders, the better, right?
                              thanks for the tip, will do!
                              trying to spread the word since many people believe these are extinct and probably gave up looking long ago...

Comment

Originally posted by Showdog75 View Post

it sold for $360 i saw a few listed last year that went over 400. so 175 would be a bargain,its unfortunate that they are are not available

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.