Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford Engine Swap Question

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Engine Swap Question

Just a quick question for all the Ford guys on here. I recently purchased a 1978 Ford F150 from a buddy of mine to restore. It is equipped with the 400 V8 and automatic transmission. The problem I am facing is that the motor is currently locked up. I also have a 1983 F350 4x4 with the 460 and automatic. My question is this...will the 460 out of my one ton bolt up to the transmission in my little half ton? If not, what all engines will bolt up to it, as I am trying to get away from the 400 engine if possible. This is my first Ford project, and I really don't know much about them, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Bryce
    Triple B Services

Straight from my motorsport book:

Bell housing is the same so it will bolt up,,,,You will need the correct mounts for the 460 for that truck chassis being used available at the local auto store easily. This is the easy part, you need to run the Dura-Spark distributor and fender mounted spark control, the wiring diagram is available from www.racerwalsh.com if you can't find it email me and I will get the exact link.

The fuel delivery will be used from the 460 but the fuel line in will need to be lengthened and use flexible line. For the hoses, make the comparison from the original motor to the replacement and you may get lucky with a factory hose from gates. if not use the flex fit.

The exhaust is another fun issue, but it is old enough to get most muffler shops to handle it painlessly.

Also you'll have to use the 460 flywheel and starter.

Good luck,

If I can help more, paulseamantools@gmail.com

Peace,
    Paul

Comment

I have a 351 in my 1979 Bronco. Years ago I was interested in a 460 swap. Although I never did it, I learned that the swap was super easy to do. Easy enough that if I started on Saturday morning, I should be done by Saturday afternoon; working alone. But I don't remember anything about the pilot bearing in the crank, since I had the 4 spd stick not the auto. And all the other endless little details.

EDIT: Paul beat me to it and knows more.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
        I have a 351 in my 1979 Bronco. Years ago I was interested in a 460 swap. Although I never did it, I learned that the swap was super easy to do. Easy enough that if I started on Saturday morning, I should be done by Saturday afternoon; working alone. But I don't remember anything about the pilot bearing in the crank, since I had the 4 spd stick not the auto. And all the other endless little details.

EDIT: Paul beat me to it and knows more.
        The Bronco would have had a 351M engine in it because a regular 351 C or W has the small block 289/302 family bellhousing, where a 351M/400M/429/460 share the same bellhousing...Bob

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
          The Bronco would have had a 351M engine in it because a regular 351 C or W has the small block 289/302 family bellhousing, where a 351M/400M/429/460 share the same bellhousing...Bob
          Bob: 351M, 351C, 351W. Yep, that was pretty much when Ford lost my allegiance. Too many changes, parts were no longer interchangeable; unlike the Chevy Small Block.
          Last edited by Craig in Denver; 10-01-2008, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Thats for sure on swapping stuff around. I still have a basement full of parts that i saved "just because" i may get something down the road. 30 years ago i had all the stuff memorized on what fit what...Bob

Comment

Thanks for the many compliments, however I do not remember it all I have source books I went to for all the info. I am a guy that bleeds blue oval, so I am fords inside and out. I currently own a bunch of them. 429, 462, 351w, 281 4 cam, a V10 and a diesel. Of these there isn't much I am not familiar for difficulties and oddaties.

I may not know all the issues but I know where to get the answers.

Go gettem,
              Paul

Comment

Thank you for your help. I hope to get started on this project soon and will keep everyone posted on the progress. Thanks again.

Bryce
                Triple B Services

Comment

83 f250 302 to a 460 swap

I recently bought a 1983 Ford F-250 4x4. Well the guy that I bought it from gave me the story on the guy he bought it from; it had a 351 in it to start of with, then he blew that engine up, so he dropped a built 302 in it, which according to him is supposed to be a bad engine, but since I've owned the truck have yet to see the "bad". It lacks power tremendously. Well I have found a 1973 + or - a year or two, Lincoln continental with a 460 big block, c6 transmission, and a 9inch rear end. The guy only wants $600 for the whole car, and I've already been over there and started it up, the engine runs great, and its only got 60,000 miles on it. But anyways to the point; I want to put the 460 into my truck, but I'm not too knowledgeable on the older ford trucks, as far as what will bolt up to what and what engine will go into what. I know that it is possible, but I'm not sure as to what all I will need, as far as the engine mounts? Not only that, but I don't know if I will be able to use my transmission or have to use the one out of the Lincoln, and if I have to use the one out of the Lincoln, then will it work with my 4x4 setup? I just want to find out if it will work and if I can use the transmission or not, etc, before I go over there and spend that kind of money on something I may not even be able to use. Well, any information at all will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
                  Chris

Comment

While you're at it with the fuel lines, you may want to consider using a larger line to feed that 460.

A while back I had a F350 Crew Cab dually, 460 with the 5 speed. Used it for towing boats with a 20,000# hydraulic trailer. About the only thing it wouldn't pull, is by a service station.

That sucker got about 6.5 MPG whether pulling 15,000# or running deadhead.

Comment

The best ford I ever had was a '78 F100 that I got for free with a dead 300 I6 in it... I had a '72 Olds Cutlass lying around, so out came the I-6 and 3 speed and in went the dual quad 350 Rocket and M22 and a hurst... made my own motor mounts and cut the driveshafts and made an "adapter" driveshaft... Funny how I could never keep a rear end in it...

Oh to be 17 again......

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                        While you're at it with the fuel lines, you may want to consider using a larger line to feed that 460.

A while back I had a F350 Crew Cab dually, 460 with the 5 speed. Used it for towing boats with a 20,000# hydraulic trailer. About the only thing it wouldn't pull, is by a service station.

That sucker got about 6.5 MPG whether pulling 15,000# or running deadhead.
                        sounds like uncle's old '82 GMC K20 plow truck.... didn't matter if it had 400 blocks on a trailer or an empty bed... it got 7mpg. The **** thing could beat anything to 45MPH... after that, forget it, it was done. I think it had something like 5.38 gears in it. but oh my god could that thing push snow.....

Comment

Originally posted by triplebservices View Post
                          Just a quick question for all the Ford guys on here. I recently purchased a 1978 Ford F150 from a buddy of mine to restore. It is equipped with the 400 V8 and automatic transmission. The problem I am facing is that the motor is currently locked up. I also have a 1983 F350 4x4 with the 460 and automatic. My question is this...will the 460 out of my one ton bolt up to the transmission in my little half ton? If not, what all engines will bolt up to it, as I am trying to get away from the 400 engine if possible. This is my first Ford project, and I really don't know much about them, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Bryce
                          Triple B Services
                          heres a website that all ford people should have in there favorites
                          http://www.fordification.com/siteindex.htm

gary

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.