Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need help with a subaru fuel problem ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cut the wires that have burnt terminals from each side of the plug and use crimp connectors. see if it works reliably. It is possible the pump is going and current draw is going up enough to over heat the terminals. They probably were loosened up or corroded which exacerbates the burning issue. It is probably time for a new pump, but make sure the damaged terminals are bypassed.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Laiky
      i don't think its possible to bypass the terminal as you speak. its the connector that brings power threw the tank opening.see pic.
      there is a 5 connector on the outside and inside there are 2 plugs, one with the 3 smaller wires that work the fuel level gage, and a 2 wire plug that go to the fuel pump. i don't see how i could get threw the access cover and seal it back up. and again it would leave me at the mercy of its whim to work when it wants and stop working as it feel fit ????

you are thinking the connecting may heat up causing it to lose its connection off and on i think. problem is it worked well for 2 long trips and was dead the next day (yesterday ) and now working again today ???? i just wish some thing would stay broken so i know what to fix!!!!!!

i'm going to give the subaru forum a shot and see if anyone has been threw the same and has a fixed car now that can tell me where to look next.
      Attached Files
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

if your seeing burned or discolored terminals, you need to address it! if the contacts are clean, or can be cleaned, you should be alright. Keep in mind that the problem could be caused by the pump, or it could be the cause of the intermittant pump operation. can you get a pic of the damage? you may need a new (junkyard) pickup assy. Either way move it to a bench and put power to a point past the overheated terminal - does it work consistantly? Do not run the pump continuously as it is lubricated and cooled by the fuel!
        Dynasty 200 DX
        Millermatic 175
        Spectrum 375
        All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

the discolored terminals are where the inside connection of the pump is, i'll try to get a pic of it tomorrow. i tried it several times today plugged in, turning the key on and it worked every time. pump started for a sec. then shut off just like its supposed to. yesterday nothing, today its fine again.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

that 5 pin plug looks like a pretty common plug on Japanese cars. You should be able to find a replacement plug at the local pick and pull, and cut it off of the donor car with some length of wire. You can also open them up, and pull the pins out.

I was unclear from your post, and the pic doesn't let me tell dirt from burnt. Is the the wire in the harness burned, or is it just the pins in the connectors. burnt pins, usually means there is arcing across the connection, and a poor connection would certainly cause an intermittent problem like you describe. Burnt wire means you are pulling more amps than you should be. Causes of that are various, but you will have to find it.

I wouldn't rule the relay out 100% yet. I know Honda had issues with cold solder joints on their main relay. They would crack and cause intermittent problems, especially when the car was hot. it's an easy fix once you figure it out.

this page has some Honda specific stuff on it, but it does an excellent job describing the problem and the correct fix. If you can weld you can solder, and if you don't have an iron, the $12 radio shack model is fine.
            http://www.marklamond.co.uk/tech-hon...main-relay.htm

I'm a member of the forum that was poster earlier. it's mainly focused on 05+ legacys, although they do have an area for older models. No idea how good it is, I never go in there. You'll probably get more help at legacy central
            http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/ No personal endorsement, I just know it's there.

hope this helps
            Millermatic 180 Auto Set

Comment

here is a better pic of the plug.
              i'm going to go ahead and replace the fuel pump. i need the car to be working again and the pump is the only thing thats off and on. power to it was still there yesterday when it would not run, so i'm calling it the problem. the wife needs the car to take her license test soon or she will have to take the required 5 HR coarse again before testing for her license.

thanks for all the help and ideas.
              James

as for the burnt plug i probably caused that when i sent power strait to the pump when it was stopped yesterday or the day before whatever it was. it was during on of the i'm not going to work times.
              Attached Files
              thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              JAMES

Comment

F4n

Keep us all posted on how this turns out , because me for one , am very curious now , hope that solves the problem , Frank

Comment

i'll let ya all know how it works after the new pump.
                  keep your fingers crossed for me.
                  any way you look at it i want to replace the burned connector.
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  JAMES

Comment

whats the answer

Fun4Now, its been just over 2 weeks , so how did you make out with the fuel pump problem , where do you stand with it , or what was the cure , Inquiring Minds Whant To Know !

Comment

Man I'm slacking. I'm a former subaru tech, and I have many stock fuel pumps you can have. The pumps have intermitten(sp) problems and flake out. All pumps are in in good working order. We take them out and put big ones in.

James
                      Miller Dynasty 200DX SOLD
                      WeldTec Water Cooler SOLD
                      Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100
                      20Ton press
                      And lots of Cut-off and grinding wheels
                      www.IAGPERFORMANCE.com

Comment

wow 2 weeks already ???
                        i looked at ordering a new pump, but it would not get me new electrical plugs or a warranty. so i went with a used assembly from my local bone yard. this allowed me to replace the bad wire connectors and give me 60 days to return if it turned out to be relay instead of pump.

so far so good, new pump assembly is working well.

i been busy drywalling my sons room and getting my other new room dried in. i'll get back to ya asap.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        JAMES

Comment

Working...
                        X