Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mig welding auto panels in Place on vehicle

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig welding auto panels in Place on vehicle

hey guys,,,I know this is an old subject for most all of you but,,
    I am attempting my first auto panel restoration and I need some basic info.
    I want to cut old panel sections out on the vehicle and mig weld the new panel on . I have obviously never done this before.
    I have asked this question once before and many ideas were presented back to me concerning whether or not to leave the Battery connected while welding. However,,, I did not get any concrete tips on doing the welding on the panels in place on the vehicle.

I assume there is no problem doing so given all the general precautions regarding keeping the gas tank well insulated from sparks, do not weld if fumes are present,use some backing materials to prevent excess sparking,etc.

Any professional input is welcome.

Oh yeah,,,humor and sarcasm is OK too,,, as long as the advice is good!

Real determined to progress my skills!!!
    Mulu

Miller Dynasty 200DX Tig/arc
    Millermatic 180 Mig
    Miller 375 Extreme Plasma
    Victor OX/acetylene
    Cutting and grinding tools enough for newby shop

No it shouldn't be a problem as long as you follow all of the precautions that you mentioned.
    Body shops weld on vehicles all the time unless the panel is a bolt on replacement, or plastic!!!
    Good luck, have fun and stay safe!

Comment

I have welded sub-frames on my Mustang without any problem. I followed the same safety precautions that you mention. I disconnected the battery because I was worried about having some affect on the car's computer or electrical system. I would recommend, though you probably already realize, that you should be careful to get a good ground as a further precaution in protecting the electrical system.

Comment

Check out Miller's archives for an article written by one of the NASCAR teams regarding tack welding body panels.

Has some good tips regarding volt setting and wfs.

Comment

Are you replacing full panels or just patching them in? Give us more details so we can help better with your questions. Some pictures would be helpful too.

If you are replacing body panels such as quarter panels, rear body panel or trunk floor some precautions need to be made to insure proper fit up before welding. If that is the case I will go into more detail but if you are just patching panels, work in as small an area as you can and stagger your welds through out the panel to minimize warpage. Always check behind the panel you are working on as many of them have sound deadeners, insulation, seam sealers and other flammable materials glued to them. A fire extinguisher is a must have item when doing this kind of work, doesn't hurt to have a fireman (extra person just in case) standing near by either. Another suggestion is to get some Cleco fasteners to hold your panels in place while you do your fit up before weld it out. If you don't know what Cleco's are I will go into more detail there as well.

Door skins are different in the way they are installed as well and can also give more detail if necessary.

One big mistake I see quite often when working on body panels is that the car is jacked up on one corner where the work is being performed. All chassis will flex when jacked and the entire vehicle needs to be placed on stands UNDER the suspension (all 4 wheels) so that the car sits natural as if it where on the ground. If the car is not supported in this manner the once nice fitting panel will not fit so nice when placed back on the ground.

BTW, preparation is the key to a good fit up and final end product, it is where the most time should be spent. Trying to cut corners will only come back and make ten times more work to straighten out what should have been done to begin with.
          Last edited by dabar39; 09-19-2008, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.