Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

120 v at track ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 120 v at track ?

I see that asked about as an asset to racers, why 120V? Is 120 line power available or are you guys making it from a genset?

Hey Cary,

From my experiences up here, it depends on the track whether 110V AC is available in the pits or not. Obviously if it is not, then we have to use a gas powered generator (or my Ranger 250) to supply it.

When we are at the home track, I use my Ranger to supply 110V to several teams in the pits for battery chargers etc, and also for 220V output to power up my Lincoln Sp-170T wire feed welder.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
      I see that asked about as an asset to racers, why 120V? Is 120 line power available or are you guys making it from a genset?
      Do you specifically mean 120 verses 110?
      You'd be surprised to see how much variances most places have (or maybe you wouldn't!).
      We are lucky that our local track has 120 now but the first year at the new track we were without power. What a pain!!!

Comment

What I was asking is why 120 vs 240, if I had to make power then I would be welding from a 240 source and the lower voltage wouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
          What I was asking is why 120 vs 240, if I had to make power then I would be welding from a 240 source and the lower voltage wouldn't be an issue.

Well if you have a generator that has enough 240 for the welder you own that's great, but you have to get both of them to the track and in our case unloaded/ loaded (circle track and the pits are in the infield, only race and safety vehicles allowed).
          Most of our local race teams don't have generators since the track supplies 120v in the pits hence 120v welders are the ticket. In most cases what needs to be welded isn't very heavy (race cars should be light!!!) so a small machine is all you need.

Comment

There are tracks without 120V? ****, we have 240V at the track at NHMS in Loudon, NH.

Comment

I have run my Dynasty 200DX and Coolmate 3 off a Coleman 5000 watt 10HP generator with no problems.

Comment

Thats kind of what I was thinking, not many or much of a genset doesn't have dual voltage and any time I could weld or make air it would be from 240 especially on a genset, if I planned on using site power and there was only 120 it obviously be different. A 180 isn't any heavier than a 140 or larger for that matter.

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.