Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

roll bars

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roll bars

I build this roll bars for a c3 convertible corvettes, that fit in years 1968-1975 models.this are made out of aluminum sch 40, which I used my hossifeld bender #2,I also used my lincoln 300amps tig welder to weld my roll bar.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by erod View Post
    made out of aluminum sch 40,.
    I sure hope you only plan on using them yourself. Heaven forbid you sell one to someone, something happens, and the lawyers get involved.

Comment

pretty decorations

like wearing silver ear rings instead of a full face helmet

Comment

You could also use PVC water pipe and paint it silver. Less cost and same outcome. Please don't take offence to the comments. Your welds look nice but the materials selected and geometry used are most unfortunate.
        There was company out in CA that was selling roll bar kits to the street tuner kids called "Monkey Bars". They might still be selling them. They sold two kinds of kits IIRC. One was made from plastic water pipe that the user cut and glued into the car then covered with roll bar foam to hide the fact that the bars were fake. The other was made from swing set or thin wall elec conduit type seamed junk that came pre painted ready to glue/screw to the car.
        Last edited by Vicegrip; 07-03-2008, 12:44 PM.

Comment

dem be called 'Show Bars"

Comment

I have to agree with all the previous posts except #1....I calzem as I seezem
            maybe they could be reinforced with balsa wood????????????

Comment

Now hold on guys.

Once upon a dead racer Porsche made monococks from aluminum tube and sheet aluminum. after sever deaths and some angry competitors they went back to a more durable construction material. Vary fast cars btw

Comment

Originally posted by FATFAB View Post
                Now hold on guys.

Once upon a dead racer Porsche made monococks from aluminum tube and sheet aluminum. after sever deaths and some angry competitors they went back to a more durable construction material. Vary fast cars btw
                Actually is monocoque meaning "single shell" , I believe coined around the first world war. Ok Ill shut up now

Comment

Yikes....

I would not want to be the driver of that vette, no offense. When I built my rollbar, I was having a tough time using the .134 ERW steel tubing that was supplied in the kit. I was expecting DOM tubing....

But Aluminum, just doesnt cut it in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerometalworker View Post
                    Actually is monocoque meaning "single shell" , I believe coined around the first world war. Ok Ill shut up now
                    Sorry domt speeek emglish to goodly and now u's spekting good fern langage

lol

Comment

Roll Bar

Id me more afraid of the attorneys,,thats a gift for them,in my eyes,,But my option!!

Comment

Aluminum! OMG! I hope you're not selling these things as ROLL BARS, Crash Bars or anything else. Obviously these are pure decoration with absolutely no function. Looks like you're hanging your a$$ way out there for a liability suit. My god man, what are you thinking?

Comment

i dont know what the fuss is about , those are the nicest mobile coat racks i have seen in a while

Comment

Believe it or not, Porsche used to build tubular space frames from aluminum tube and even did a few chassis in magnesium tube. Not sure how they were welded, but the welds were hideous.

http://www.pbase.com/917carl/image/21035421

http://www.pbase.com/917carl/image/20969720
                            Last edited by SM Racing; 07-24-2008, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SM Racing View Post
                              Believe it or not, Porsche used to build tubular space frames from aluminum tube and even did a few chassis in magnesium tube. Not sure how they were welded, but the welds were hideous.

http://www.pbase.com/917carl/image/21035421

http://www.pbase.com/917carl/image/20969720
                              Yeah, safety wansn't as paramount back then as it is today.
                              I've heard that they didn't even tell the drivers about the switch to magnesium frames because they were already freaked out enough driving a 200 mph car with an aluminum frame.

But, hey, when you look at the suspension and brakes on a lot of older racing cars, you suddenly get a lot more respect for the drivers of yesteryear.

SM Racing, are those chassis in your shop? Where are you located? Do you purely vintage? Fun stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.