No announcement yet.

NHRA - Do they have their heads up their Asses?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Showdog75 View Post
    1000 ft. nitro sucks , jmo .Make the tracks longer. The tracks should have to keep up with the cars , don't hold them back..
    They've been held back for years. There's a long list of rules in the book designed to slow them down. As the crews find work arounds, more rules are enforced. This is just another way to keep them in check and it won't be the last. This one is just more publicized because it's a reaction to a tragedy.

It's easy to say make the tracks longer, but as stated not all tracks have that luxury. And if they are forced to find land elsewhere, that isn't always an option either, especially in economic times like these. Not to mention, few people want a noisy track in their backyard.

First post here Hi all.

Good points involving these problems we experience in the NHRA racing community.

I am involved in Drag racing and am currently working on completion of a very fast Dragster. I have gone down alot of the tracks on the east coast, less then 8 seconds each time. I have two children and I do everything I can to satisfy my desire for speed to be safe as possible. I help with the fabrication in our shop. My partner is certified to weld. We are in the tail end of finishing his car which is a ProMod. He designs the chassis himself and welds them up.
      His designs, and tube placements, thickness and techniques go above and beyond what NHRA deems legal. Again we have children and will practice above and beyond minimum requirements.

See there are several real world problems with suggestions on how to correct failures on the track.

Example: Put a back up chute on car! Wont work, why bye time the backup chute is deployed you are out of track.

Put fuel shut off after engine failure. Wont work, why bye time you shut the fuel off if the engine is vented in any way the heat from the engine will ignite it. Nitro burns at I think 6500 degrees.
      I think we have pretty dammm good fire suits to prevent life threating burns.

As far as chute deployment on a funny car they WILL deploy once the body comes off of the car. The chutes are mounted on the body, the rip cord is mounted to the car. Simple body leaves, rip cord stays, chutes deploy.

The biggest problem with chute failure is the damm debris tearing into the blossoming action! How do you stop that? Simple eliminate the debris.

The (greatest) problem any driver sees is the sudden stop!

See I choose to drive a red dragster (Rear engine dragster) because I learned from Don Garlits when he experienced clutch failure and tore he legs up. While in the hospital he designed the RED so he can race again.

The real problem is slowing the cars to a safe stop. Other racing bodies have taken action in there arena with movable barriers.

It is sad that tombstone technology is usually what it takes to be safer.

Originally posted by Badd00SS View Post
        Long Island Motorsports park was great, I had alot of fun there when I just started out...
        Ahh !!!!! L.I.Dragway I know it well,I believe there are condos there now !! Its a shame , and discouraging to go racing now.I feel your pain Bad00SS

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Misteryez. I too drive a RED, although much slower. I believe that too many of the rules are set by individuals that have never travel down the racing surface in anything other than a golf cart. Many of the suggestions here are also by people whose only connection with racing is TV. Give us any set of rules and we will figure out how to go faster than the guy in the other lane. That is what is required to win races. Do you really want to see racing scripted like WWE? Well at least it'd be safe.
          Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
          Miller 180 w/Autoset
          Old cutting torch on LPG

Originally posted by mxtras View Post
            Racers know the risks. Why is it that people always have to have someone to blame?
            exactly. i road-race motorcycles and i know the risks. we go 150mph on parts of the course and it is dangerous, i have seen people die on the track right in front of me. i take all reasonable means of precaution to insure my safety, but it is not 100% safe. if i had a million dollars to spend on safety then it would be safer, but i don't have a million dollars, but i race motorcycles anyways. not because i am a daredevil or have a death wish, but because i enjoy the challenge and i enjoy this particular activity. i told my wife that if i die in a motorcycle race, then she must tell everyone that eric johanson died simply as a result of "him living life as eric johanson", not because "safety was inadequate."
            miller dynasty 350
            miller spectrum 1000

Originally posted by 190MPH View Post
              The track will never keep up with the cars, most tracks don't have the room to expand. Eventually even the long tracks will become compromised as the speeds increase. If you start giving ultimatums to the tracks, you will lose 1/2 of the ones on the tour. Bet on the fact that they are: #1. Going to slow the cars down, #2. Come up with some sort of speed arresting equipment, #3. More flame retardant chute material.

If I was a betting man, I'd say that they will be working on a whole new set of rules to slow the cars down. Limit compression ratio, smaller superchargers. They should lower the max diplacement also, IMO.
              I think they should try to limit the speeds as you say. I notice that the speeds and elapsed times are not all that different at 1000 feet. I guess that gives them additioinal shut off length so that's good but the speeds are still too high. JMO, however.

I'm not a drag racer but I like to watch the sport and I don't want to see anyone get hurt or killed.
              Miller Syncrowave 200
              Milermatic 252
              Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

I was just reading another site. Here is a case of causing more problems with the new rules. Super Comp dragsters were getting out of shape, sideways and one crashed sending the driver to the ER with a punctured lung. Why? Raw fuel on the track after 1000'. Believe me, you dont want anything on the track when youre driving on slicks.
                Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
                Miller 180 w/Autoset
                Old cutting torch on LPG

That is more a function of the trackside safety crews not keping their eyes on the task at hand. I wouldn't be convinced it was fuel as it would tend to evaporate quickly I would think. I'd be interested to know if they did a scrub after the fuel cars ran. Clutch dust can be worse than you can imagine.

In some circles it is called unintended consequences.

Any change to a complex "system" will undoubtedly have an effect on all of the individual components.

If the dots line up in a bad way...

The speed is not the problem, its the suddon stop, loss of control, gernading an engine etc... Speed is the reason to show up on saturday or sunday.

What needs to take place is technology needs to catch up to the level they are running at. Look at any complex system and it is quickly obvious that it will require some trial and error to find the control limits. And if one or more of the variables change, yes dorothy, the control limits change also.

The solution exists, it just needs to be found. And it will be found as long as the solution is not legislated. Define proper safety guidelines, and let the boys do what they do best, push the envelope farther and race.

I'm wondering how feasible it would be to go with rear engined funnies.I know it has been tried in the past with limited success but someone somewhere would figure it out to make it work properly.I'm not saying it would have saved any of the people in any of the situations previously mentioned but to me, fire behind you has got to be better than fire in your face.Am I way off on this?