Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorcycle training wheels

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I honestly dont believe that a motorcycle of any type is suitable for any preteen. So many deaths over the years because of misuse on ATV's and 2 wheelers. Yes a remote kill switch is a good idea for sure.

I started riding at 14 on a Honda XL125. Crashed that alot of times before I figured out how to actually ride it safely. Now 37 years later have owned a multitude of bikes, even lost my licence a couple of times. Just sold off my Honda Rune, and my Texas Chopper earlier, in favour of a bigass Jet boat.

Comment

respectfully , I disagree, Started on a rupp minibike, progressed much farther, then I turned into a teen ager.

One thing you do need to take into consideration, does the kid have the wiring... balance, comon sense with respect to braking distance and negotiating turns and road hazards.

Training wheels, that just flat out makes me nervous.

If you are thinking of puting a remote kill switch, I would really be asking myself, why exactly am I puting this kid on this vehicle?

If you are SO uncomfortable that you need remote control,,,, step slowly away from the switch, and find another hobby.

If the kid has balance problems, put them in a kart, or something else.

Comment

Originally posted by trstek View Post
        respectfully , I disagree, Started on a rupp minibike, progressed much farther, then I turned into a teen ager.

One thing you do need to take into consideration, does the kid have the wiring... balance, comon sense with respect to braking distance and negotiating turns and road hazards.

Training wheels, that just flat out makes me nervous.

If you are thinking of puting a remote kill switch, I would really be asking myself, why exactly am I puting this kid on this vehicle?

If you are SO uncomfortable that you need remote control,,,, step slowly away from the switch, and find another hobby.

If the kid has balance problems, put them in a kart, or something else.

I think you may be overthinking this a bit. Training wheels are used to teach throttle control and braking while in a quiet, flat area where turning is not an issue. The remote kill is used to keep someone new from falling off and sending the bike careening off into someone else. Usually once starting and stopping are mastered, the wheels come off. As does the kill switch and you have a happy two wheeled post toddler.

John

Comment

Everyone learns different. I had training wheels on my bicycle. By the time I was on a minibike, all I had to learn was throttle control, it was the only new variable, was about six, I think, a long time ago would have to ask dad.

do believe in what ever works. but solid bicycle skills first, then motor bicycles is how I learned.

Course we did not have the hp or suspensions they have today.

Bottom line, if its your kid, do what you think is the right way to teach them.

my opinion, why would you want in the back of your kids mind that someone will step in and save them if they get in trouble? in the world of bikes where people leave us every day, because of bad decisions or being in the wrong place at the right time, things happen not all of them good.

again my opinion, teaching your kid the cost of their decisions is as important as teaching them to ride. This was how I was raised, and have come to agree with my pop as time has passed.

Some times I wonder how my ma and pop stood back and watched us take off on the bikes and wait for us to come home. We rode in the national forest in northern wisconsin. They had a certian faith in us and how things work. And, I have to agree with them, made me what I am today.

When I started on the rupp, was a small confined area, the throttle was limited, couldn;t reach / work the brakes, so that wasn't an issue.

Dad was probably thinking, if I could live through my brother and his friends pulling me in a ball bearing wagon from my grandpa, behind two bicycles, flipping over, getting dragged, I could probably handle a minibike in a controlled situation... Course everyone grows up different.

Tom

Comment

TRSTEK has it right folks, no matter what you think is the right way to teach your kid anything, someone will disagree, so unless they are bleeding after everything you have ever done with them,. then you are prolly doing alright and you should doing things how you feel you should. Slap some wheel on the bike, and send the kid flyin' through the mud. Have fun and good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.