Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Syncrowave 250 DX or Dynasty 200 DX

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncrowave 250 DX or Dynasty 200 DX

Hi guys, I'm looking for some feed back on these two machines. I only welded once with an inverter type machine. A friend of mine had a HTP, it was nice, but was DC only. What do some of you like and does a inverter machine have more options when welding aluminum. Also is their any advantages when welding in DC with an inverter. Space and power reqiurements are not a concern.

The obvious difference between the transformer and inverter rigs is cost.

But, the less obvious (read subtle) differences make the Dynasty series of inverters extremely attractive.

Inverters have the programed ability to vary every parameter you can think of. Of special note is the ability to adjust frequency. The transformer rigs are 60 Hertz only. Inverters can run very high (150 Hertz) when that is what the weld parameters require.

If you can afford it, as you say, jump on the inverter.

Hank

Comment

if money allows i would go inverter, but miller has no inverter in the sync 250 class

Comment

The inverter seems to act like a larger machine in some ways.

Comment

in DC the inverter is very similar to the transformer. its in the AC side the inverters really shine. if you don't intend to do a lot of AC work you may be better off just going transformer. keeping in mind the amps you get per $ the transformers well out do the inverters. and don't be fooled the transformers are very capable of making fine welds in both AC and DC. if size and power impute is not an issue the transformer may be a better fit.

Comment

If you mix Argon 20cfm and Helium 6cfm you can weld thicker then the manufacture rec.This is agood ratio to start with. Gas will vary with the cup size and gas lens you uses along with the material. Dynasty 200DX uses less power to achieve the same welding thickness. It will has many more adjustment that with practice will give you a better and prettier weld. I had a sweet deal on the 250dx with tigrunner package. $2500 used with low hours, But still bought the inverter based machine for size, power useage, and portability. Once you get it you will be able to go anywhere with it. That means more jobs and more money. It could easily pay for itself over time. Just my humble opinion. I'm still a newb. I just post a lot. I now how difficult the chooses are. You will be happy with either machine. BTW HTP make an inverter bases dc/ac machine too. Bought the Tig DVD through HTP, but still went Miller.

James

Comment

Unless you are planning on welding a lot of thick material, the Dynasty can handle your work up to 1/4". By adding a watercooler and beter torch, you will have a top notch set up that's way more portable than the Sync 250.
              There are plenty of well experienced Dyn 200 users here that can help with setting to get you on track.
              So, I guess I'd vote the Dynasty.
              A-

Comment

My choice was a Dynasty 300, it has the output of the Syncrowave 250 but not the duty cycle. (the 350 has much better) However it was the best choice for home use, the 250 requires a lot more input juice.

I do find that I can weld aluminum much easier with the Dynasty than a transformer based welder. It seems to be much more controllable.

the down side is the Dynasty is double the cost. It may cost less in the long run when you consider electrical cost.

Comment

Well said. Now wish him good luck in finding a used Dynasty 300DX

James

Comment

Originally posted by ant1277 View Post
                    Hi guys, I'm looking for some feed back on these two machines. I only welded once with an inverter type machine. A friend of mine had a HTP, it was nice, but was DC only. What do some of you like and does a inverter machine have more options when welding aluminum. Also is their any advantages when welding in DC with an inverter. Space and power reqiurements are not a concern.
                    Thanks for the feed back. I was able to try an inverter welder on aluminum today The Lincoln demo trailer was at my local welding supplier today. The NHRA is in town and their doing a few stops then going to set up the display at the race for the weekend. I really like the ability to adjust the frequency. Looks like theirs an inverter welder in my future. I would really like to take a Dynasty 200 for a test ride.

Comment

shouldn't be too hard to find a Dyn200 to test drive. ask your dealer if he knows when the Miller trailer is going to be in town or if he has a rental Dyn200 you could run a little.
                      now if we could just run down an answer to the question of is the rumor of a Dyn250 coming out soon true or false ???? i suspect we will only find that out if and when it shows up on a dealers show room floor. a Dyn250 would make a lot of people happy, but could really tick off a new 200 buyer to find one at the dealer a week after buying a 200.

i have an inverter and have to say the ability to dial in the arc is a big + no question about it. my choice to go inverter was more based on the impute power requirements though. a 30 amp service VS a 60 amp made it a must.

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                        ...i suspect we will only find that out if and when it shows up on a dealers show room floor. a Dyn250 would make a lot of people happy, but could really tick off a new 200 buyer to find one at the dealer a week after buying a 200.
                        How true, I just bought a Dynasty 350, so I'm watching, I suspect the "new" 375 or 400 will be released any day now.

Jack

Comment

I prefer the miller syncrowave 250 but I like the old ones not all this electronic stuff you can have it, I like a syncrowave from like 1997 or so.
                          We've got 3 new syncrowaves at work and they just don't weld that great i feel and there is one dinosour old a** syncrowave and said to one of the guys this week I want the old one for my permanent welding spot and the guy looked at me like I was smoking crack. I'm sorry that thing is awsome for welding aluminum and evrything else.
                          What can I say the old timers have convinced me some of the old I think is better then the new.

Chris

Comment

Does Miller have a listing where the trailers are? I would love to see it. My LWS has no clue.

James

Comment

Originally posted by StillBoostin View Post
                              Does Miller have a listing where the trailers are? I would love to see it. My LWS has no clue.

James
                              Yea I've seen it a bunch but can't say where offhand...try the powerclick or whatever...I know it's listed tho...just go to the top off the page and start clickin'

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.