Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antique floor jack

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    And if you read the dirctions correctly you would never depend on the floor jack to hold anyting up while you crawled under and would use it to jack only, support with floor stands for the weight. To many people have been killed depending on hydraulics. Use proper blocking and not just the jack.
    That is an excellent point, the stuff I mentioned about the cheaper jack bleeding off and the expensive one not bleeding off is what the salesman at Napa told me.

Comment

Word of warning:
      If you lift up a load and hear your jack 'popping' or 'clicking' but not dropping the load, it has a holding ball problem and should be rebuilt. The check ba!!s (nice censoring) are metal on metal and when a ball leaks it hammers the seat and produces a 'pop' or 'click' that you'll hear clearly. You might not be able to see it drop, but it is... VERY slowly. No leak to the outside, just a leak inside that will only get worse as the seat gets hammered. You can still use the jack, just DON'T TRUST IT! (Doesn't make much sense, but there it is).

Oh, also this:
      If it your jack ever does start bleeding down, tightening the release handle harder seldom fixes the problem. That's a holding ball issue as well. All you are doing is jamming the release needle into its seat and ruining that! It's a whole separate hydraulic circuit back to the tank, not the part where the problem is. Couldn't count the number of times I've seen this. You can ruin it and make it non-rebuildable by damaging that seat!
      Last edited by Some Creep; 06-11-2008, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Your right cheap jacks stink, but then most cheap tools stink anyway. I never buy cheap jacks as they are used in a fleet shop. Best ones we have are old walkers, gray makes nice stuff too but pricey, OTC seems OK, the worst I've had was Lincoln 10 ton. leaked brand new and I bought 5 of them. All leaked, sent em back came back still leaked, and we always use jack stands, but its bad when it wont stay up long enough to get the stand under the trailer.... Sent em back and bought snap-on, looks just liek the lincoln but have had no problems, who knows. Use the big ones mostly on trailers since we have lifts that will pickup all the trucks even the 10 wheelers.

ps: looked around shop and counted 12 floor jacks of various sizes...
        since I was counting I counted , 10 lifts, [3] 36,000lbs, [5] 54,000lbs, and[2]10,000lb lifts. Who needs a floor jack anyway...ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by HMW View Post
          Best ones we have are old walkers, gray makes nice stuff too but pricey, OTC seems OK, the worst I've had was Lincoln 10 ton. leaked brand new and I bought 5 of them. All leaked, sent em back came back still leaked, and we always use jack stands, but its bad when it wont stay up long enough to get the stand under the trailer.... Sent em back and bought snap-on, looks just liek the lincoln but have had no problems,
          Snap-Ons are Lincolns. They make bigger frames and bump the overloads up to rate at 2-1/2 tons. Same power unit as the 2-ton. Too spendy for me!

I've rebuilt many many 10 ton Lincolns. They rock, you musta got into a bad production run...??? OTC is a VERY good brand hydraulic rams and pumps (bead breakers too) but their jack line was acquired in a company purchase.

Thank god nobody has mentioned that import crap! BUY AMERICAN!!!

Comment

Funny you say that cause they sure did look like them, but no issues

Comment

pb412

I enjoyed the talk about antique jacks. Due to health I'm trying to sell an old Manley 2 1/2 ton floor jack.I have no idea where to sell it that it can continue to perform !!! I hope I can post this Info here as well as this contact info ! pb... mybrownsound@atlanticbb.net
              Attached Files
              Last edited by pb412; 07-17-2008, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pb412 View Post
                I enjoyed the talk about antique jacks. Due to health I'm trying to sell an old Manley 2 1/2 ton floor jack.I have no idea where to sell it that it can continue to perform !!! I hope I can post this Info here as well as this contact info ! pb... mybrownsound@atlanticbb.net

Thats awesome, I wish I had the room...

Ironically I have an old Manley 3 ton Wrecking boom that I found in the dump, I restored it and use it to pick up steel beams, they made a very good product...

Comment

Originally posted by pb412 View Post
                  Where are you located? I will be at the vintage grand prix this weekend and someone there may be interested in your jack.

Comment

Sorry to get back to post a reply. I live in Cumberland Maryland. I hope somebody can put this Bear to work I'm sure it could tell some stories. It might be larger than 2.5 tons, It is about 54" long not including the handle. I'll do some more checking tonight and measure the cylander. Thanks for your interest and help ! pb...

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.