Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tig welding thin aluminum

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig welding thin aluminum

Hi, I need some tips on tig welding thin aluminum (.040 thick). I'm having trouble when I have two edges at a 90 degree and when I have a piece laying flat horizontal and one on edge vertical. I can get a puddle going on the horizontal flat piece but when I try to work the puddle up to the vertical piece it starts to burn away.

you might try laying the wire in the joint and then striking the arc over the wire. this will give you a little more matereal to work with wile bringing it up to temp. be carful not to end up with a cold weld, but it will help reduce burn threw.

Comment

i also find for inside corners, increasing the stick out and gas a bit helps to get the arc where you need it. be careful not to go too high on the gas flow or you will draw in air with turbulence.
      let us know how it comes out. good luck.

Comment

I would say practice first and foremost, it's tough. What machine, settings, and tungsten are you using? Filler and material alloy.

Comment

A backup piece behind where it's burning through will help. Since I have to clamp to something anyway, I make sure edges get backed if possible. If you have HZ adjustment turn it up to focus the arc.

Comment

Yea, we need some base metal alloys and filler selections to help out. For our 030 thickness airboxes for our race cars, we use 3003 material and 1100filler. Outside edge set at 40Amps (but not using that much), Freq 100 balance 71. Inside, like fun said, extend tungsten a little, Amps 40-50, freq at 90, balance 76. 040-045 filler.

good luck!
            Andy

Comment

Dont forget Tung size makes a difference as well. 1/16 with a nice end on it so you can have a stable arch at low amps. Anything anybigger the arc will dance around before it figures were it needs to go. Far as type the Gold 1.5% lanthanated Tung is what I myself have had a lot of success with but have heard Orange2% ceriated is just as nice.

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for all the feedback. The machine I'm using doesn't have all those adjustments. I'm using a 1/16 tungsten (green & tried a brown). I found between 35 and 50 amps works best. The only control I have is an AC Balance. I could set it to auto or adjust it for cleaning and penetration. It aslo has a pulse control. It's a Lincoln Precision Tig 185. I got a super deal on it

A freind of mine had a car build at a chassis shop. When we would go to see the progress they would let me pick thru their scraps. I'm not sure of the material # of the aluminum, they use it for tin work in their drag cars. I'm using 4043 1/16 filler rod on the "T" joints and just trying to fuse over the 90 degree but ends.

I also have a MM 210
                Last edited by ant1277; 06-10-2008, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Its probably 3003 alloy sheet your using. I have a Precision 185 machine that I just taught myself how to weld alum. with over the past year. Getting the initial bead going across both parts is where I struggle the most as well. Once I get going its a breeze. I'd be running about 50amps max but probably less on the foot pedal, auto on the balance, max. on the pulse. Personally, I've found the best results on aluminum with red (thoriated) tungsten sharpened almost to a point. I also use gold tungsten with good results as well. Seems I can control the arc better with either of those and a point on them than the green and a ball tip. I use 3/32" dia. tungsten btw and 1/16" 4043 filler. Maybe try getting a puddle going on one side of the joint and adding a little filler blob then moving over to the other side, add a blob of filler then try to blend the filler blobs together and continue on.

Here's a little catch can I recently thru together from .062" alum.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...47068123JhAkoa
                  http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...47068123GSpvzg

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig, I tried a red tungsten sharpend to a point and had good results. I measured up the material it's only .030. I only had 1/16 filler rod at the time, its alittle to big for what I'm trying to do, I'll have to get something smaller. Your catch can came out good. I also looked at the other pictures, did you do all the cage work too?

Comment

Originally posted by ant1277 View Post
                      Thanks Craig, I tried a red tungsten sharpend to a point and had good results. I measured up the material it's only .030. I only had 1/16 filler rod at the time, its alittle to big for what I'm trying to do, I'll have to get something smaller. Your catch can came out good. I also looked at the other pictures, did you do all the cage work too?
                      Yes, first cage ever. It was quite a project. I'm glad its done. Now if I can just finish up my list of "winter projects" on the car I can get it back to the track.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by PontiacRacer View Post
                        Yes, first cage ever. It was quite a project. I'm glad its done. Now if I can just finish up my list of "winter projects" on the car I can get it back to the track.

Craig
                        Hey Craig, did you make the cage or was it a kit? If it was a kit who did you get it from? It came out really good. I would like to get back to the track also. I have been sitting out a few years, home renovationstill not done. What class are you running? I bracket race and run Super Street. Island Dragway,Englishtown,Atco and Maple Grove are the tracks in my area.

Comment

Hey Craig, did you make the cage or was it a kit? If it was a kit who did you get it from? It came out really good. I would like to get back to the track also. I have been sitting out a few years, home renovationstill not done. What class are you running? I bracket race and run Super Street. Island Dragway,Englishtown,Atco and Maple Grove are the tracks in my area.

If your refering to Island Dragway on Long Island, it is no more!

Comment

Originally posted by Laiky View Post
                            If your refering to Island Dragway on Long Island, it is no more!
                            Island Dragway in Great Meadows, New Jersey.

Comment

Nope, started with a pile of 20' sticks of tubing, a bender, notcher and the TIG. The cage that was in it before was a kit deal from S&W I think that was installed by the previous owner and was 1/2 the reason I cut it out. It fit terrible and the welds were awful. The car is being set up to run the local heads up True 10.5 or Outlaw 10.5 classes.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.