Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding on a Ferari - Filler metal

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding on a Ferari - Filler metal

I have to weld what is called a signature badge on a Ferari which is on the fender near the winshield.

Any recommendations on what filler to use.

1100 series that is soft with a low melting point.

I think 4043 would be my guess without knowing what aluminum body panels are made from.

Thanks in advance.

you know what they say "When in Milan".

I really have nothing helpful to add.

Comment

welding on a Ferrari

Portable,
      try this link to alcotec.
      http://www.alcotec.com/us/en/support/index.cfm

pick the selection chart from the menu on the left.

I would really try to find out what the alloy is for the body. The liability would scare me alot so be careful.

good luck I would love to see how it comes out.

Comment

Were the originals welded on? I'd be afraid of warpage, will you be able to 'work it back' after welding? I don't know a thing about Ferrari and restoration accuracy, could the piece be epoxied like so many badges on cars are today?

Comment

The car is at the body shop being redone, As far as liability goes, Its only a fender and no it cant be epoxied.

Since its not a structural part, Nor will it be anodized - 40/43 it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
            The car is at the body shop being redone, As far as liability goes, Its only a fender and no it cant be epoxied.

Since its not a structural part, Nor will it be anodized - 40/43 it is.
            Before you take the attitude of "its only a fender", check out these prices.
            http://www.ferrparts.com/search.php?...&submit=Search

Comment

What is the vintage on the car?

Comment

I've got $2,000,000.00 of liability coverage.

I work on machines that cost over $ 200,000.00 all the time so a little fender is nothing to sweat over.

I never asked what the vintage of the car was, I would guess not more than 15 years old.

Comment

I've got $2,000,000.00 of liability coverage.

I work on machines that cost over $ 200,000.00 all the time so a little fender is nothing to sweat over.

I never asked what the vintage of the car was, I would guess not more than 15 years old.
                  Portable welder sweats nothing,Same attiude as admweld.

Comment

Worked on the Ferrari today and every thing turned out perfectly.

Paitence- Patience- Patience.

Comment

I guess this means we don't get a photo?

Comment

Ferrari fender badges are not welded to the vehicle. They have a post/nut installation, on a proper factory fender. Factory installed badges are also set into a 1mm recession on the fender, so give a slightly more flush appearance.

Genuine, original Ferrari parts will be installed like this, however there are some aftermarket versions which use a double-sided 3M tape.

Ricambi America shows the full exploded diagrams for most Ferraris parts on-line. An example of the badges is shown here:

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/parts_...=&V=diag&I=615

p.s. Newer cars are all aluminum bodied, and from 1999- have alumium structural frames.

Comment

Ferrari Fan, I did not weld the badge to the fender I welded the indented pc that the badge sets inside of to the fender, The fender on the car was smooth so I cut the indented pc out of a damaged fender and put it in the existing cars fender.

Comment

Ferrari Fan, I did not weld the badge to the fender I welded the indented pc that the badge sets inside of to the fender, The fender on the car was smooth so I cut the indented pc out of a damaged fender and put it in the existing cars fender.
                            Who says you don't know what you're dooing?

Good job, I say!

For future Ferrari questions, you cannot beat the resources here: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/

You have my respect; I only carry $1,000,000.00 liability and work on $50,000.00 cars

Comment

Gawd I love this forum. Nice Job.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.