Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best tig torches for chassis work

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best tig torches for chassis work

I am looking to buy a new tig torch for chassis work. I have been using a CS310 for years, since I could be welding 1/16" SS one minute and 1/4" aluminum the next. I have always found it to cumbersome for doing chassis work but just put up with it. After working on a rollcage all day today I have had enough. I'm not sure if I should go for the smallest watercooled or will an aircooled be adequate?

My vote would be for a water cooled torch. I have used both and water cooled is smaller and cooler, generally more maneuverable (the cables/tubes are more flexible). Unless you need really small I would think a #20 like a Weldcraft WP-20 would fit the bill perfectly.

-Dan

Comment

Steve,

My favorite for doing my chassis work is the Weldcraft WP 225. It is a 250Amp flex torch and has different heads that you can set up for different work that interchange right on the torch body. I use 4 main heads. The #9 70deg, #9 90deg, the #24 and the 1726 for heavy work like your 1/4". The 1724 and the 9 70deg are included with the torch purchase.

Good luck!

Andy

Comment

is it water cooled?

Comment

It would be nice if I could get away with air cooled, for the weight.

Comment

Water cooled are as a rule, lighter than air cooled....
            compare the CS310 body at 3 oz
            vs. the CS300 (air cooled) body at 10 oz

The WP-225 mentioned is water cooled:

Weldcraft® WP-225 (formerly SF-225) TIG Torch Specifications

Amperage: 225 DCSP maximum, 100% duty cycle
            Water-cooled body: 180º body with interchangeable heads
            Electrode capacity: .020" (.5mm) -- 5/32" (4.0mm) varies by head type
            Torch body weight: 4 oz. (113.4g)
            Torch length: varies by head type
            Handle diameter: 3/4" (19.0mm)
            Water flow: 1qt./min. (0.946 L/min.)
            Maximum pressure: 50 psi (3.448 BAR)

The WP-20 is probably the most popular water cooled TIG torch but the 225 offers a lot of flexibility.

Comment

One more vote for a flex neck/head water cooled.
              Sometimes it's really nice to be able to bend the head
              around where it needs to be.
              Dave P.

Comment

There is a conversion kit from Weldcraft for your air cooled torch to use the interchangeable heads but you still only have a 150 amp system.

Andy

Comment

Andy,

any chance you could post a few pics of that torch, and the heads? maybe with a piece of tubing for comparison?

Comment

The diameter of the torch is 3/4" sames as the the WP-20 and
                    the body is 4 oz. The length will be determined by which head you attach. Here's some pics of some of the various heads:
                    http://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?ma...h=13_18_42_342

Hope that helps.

Comment

I've used air cool and water cool I prefer air cool if you don't go over 200 amps alot. I just bought a Weldcraft WP26V 200 amp air cooled but haven't tried it yet will soon when I build my trailer.

Comment

Chris...do you need the valve??
                        Give the FV a try some time...they are sweet F=flex
                        I like the #26F= flex but no valve

Comment

What does the valve do? How does it help? Seen some come with and without, and don't have a clue what it is adjusting.

James

Comment

Originally posted by StillBoostin View Post
                            What does the valve do? How does it help? Seen some come with and without, and don't have a clue what it is adjusting.

James
                            It's a shielding gas valve on the handle, to adjust shielding gas flow....

Comment

It's to use on rigs without a gas valve on the machine. If you have a gas valve you don't need it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.