Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

notching and fitting

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• notching and fitting

hello everybody
    it happens that when i notch and fit tubing 4130N they don`t come out 100% perfect. could i go for one more pass when i tig weld to refill the gap and make stronger welding? thanks a lot

When welding Tube, as a rule, I keep the joints tight enough that I can't stick the filler I am using into the gap. Filling a poorly fit joint with multiple passes will not make a strong weld. Take your time and practice making good tight joints before breaking out the TIG torch.

Comment

Fabio,

Get some notching templates if you are doing your fitups by hand. The key to a good fit is your skill in cutting. Templates give you a big hand up.

Hank

Comment

The skill in cage work is in fitting as much as welding. I have spent an hour or more on one tube end fitting tweeking, refitting tweeking refitting on complex ends with more than one intersection. Other times first cut drops in like it was moulded to the other tube.
        Last edited by Vicegrip; 06-01-2008, 08:56 PM.

Comment

thanks for your advices ,my friends
          i will keep doing til they get perfect

Comment

Working...
          X
          Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.