Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding heavy plate

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding heavy plate

Is the weave welding technique still used on heavy plate or is it all stringer work to fill the gap..

How heavy? What process?

If it's thicker than my MIG welder is rated for, I'll do multi-pass. That's stringers.

Hank

Comment

Your right sorry about that. Regarding 1/2 to 1" plate work. Years ago I was strictly doing arc welding on plate, but don't know what process is used know. I'm told arc welding is just about dead, by the welding store sales reps.

Comment

imo stick welding will never die, way to flexible and adaptable.ive had the best luck with stringers on heavy plate(MIG or stick)

Comment

Depends on the position and joint design. I am not sure how much luck has to do with the weld deposit but quality welds are done with both techniques, weaves are used in groove welds except horizontal and vertical fillets.
          Last edited by Sberry; 05-26-2008, 10:00 PM.

Comment

not true a weave can be use in all positions but it all comes down to ur hand skills. all processes can be used and a weave can be used with all but tig welding is better off with stringers but one can put in a sound and correct weave weld.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead View Post
              I'm told arc welding is just about dead, by the welding store sales reps.
              I assume the experts you refer to mean stick welding since the term "arc welding" can be applied to various forms of electric welding processes. I wonder what they recommend for on-site (out of the controlled confines of a shop) welding on heavy equipment, farm equipment, fences, gates, drilling rigs, trucks, trailers, structures, signs, etc?

Comment

you can't deny the magic of FLUX!!! I think stick welding will be with us for may years to come. I wish i knew how to do it!!

Comment

I've worked construction (pipe welding) for many years, I'll be one of the many that'll tell you stick welding isn't dead or any where near it! We still use it on pipe welds in nuclear plants. Stringers or weaves, it's up to the welder as to which they are more comfortable with. I like weaves myself as you can put down a lot more meat with each pass.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead View Post
                    Your right sorry about that. Regarding 1/2 to 1" plate work. Years ago I was strictly doing arc welding on plate, but don't know what process is used know. I'm told arc welding is just about dead, by the welding store sales reps.
                    WOW a sales rep said that. The three major processes that are being used are all ARC WELDING PROCESSES..(GMAW,SMAW,and GTAW) thats what I mean when I say the welding world is going to **** in a hand basket .And a good example of why ''formal training" is needed.

To respond to what you asked..Heavy plate can be welded with a weave technique or stringers can be used. And it all depends on the position of the plate and the process as well as the rods.

"Arc welding is just about DEAD" ask him whats replacing it.

Comment

You know I did ask and the Rep said the construction industry is going toward wire welding for everything. After talking to the Rep it just made me practice that much harder on my stick welding skills. I was at one time a good stick welder and since Mig became propular I dropped the stick welder for a Mig welder. Funny that now I'm going back to stick welding and struggling at it...gear

Comment

1/2 in plate,double bevel 4 passes, 2 per side. 1 in plate double bevel 6 passes, 3 per side. Just mig and puddle control.

Comment

Stick welding die? I certainly hope not.

A guy I know runs a structural steel shop. All their procedures are written for stick. It is "what they know" and "what they have always done". Interesting point here is the salesman comes by and talks him into buying a Mig. The guy sends it out to the shop or out to the jobsite and the welders fiddle with it for awhile, determine it is too complex, junk or some other excuse. So it ends up in the corner of the shop. When I query him about the new Mig he claims his procedures are all written for stick. I suggest he write new ones, get some training, whatever. He says "Naaaa, if you want it, take it." I say OK.

I suspect this may be an isolated case but maybe not. If not, stick will be around a long time.

Comment

stick vs. Mig

both welding processes have there specific benefits, it doesn't come down to welder preferences but to the laws of physics that govern welding.

comparing the 2 breifly again shows stick welding has a voltage ranging from 11 to 14 typically and amperages in the 100 to 175 range again TYPICALLY.

Mig welding has voltages ranging from 11 to 30 typically and amperages from 100 to 400 typically.

compare those in the energy input equation:

(volts X amps X 60) / travel speed= energy input measured in joules

one of the main reasons for weaving stick electrodes is to allow the material enough time to preheat and to get penetration. Weaving mig is not required but can be done in some situation if you keep in mind the comparison.

EXAMPLE:
                            stick-------------- mig
                            volts 11-----------------19
                            amps 140----------------245
                            const 60------------------60
                            t.s. 6-------------------18
                            joules 15,400.00--------15,516.67

So you can see for the same energy input and it is per inch since we divided by inches mig has the potential for alot more output that stick. That is its major advantage, conversely its downside is the cost of the equipment, set up and most often needing an external shielding gas.

So to say stick is almost dead is a relative situation depending on the individual market segment they serve. You wont catch an automotive company running stick on their product, but you will find as mentioned above alot of stick where they are running piping.

For what it is worth.

Comment

Hey guys, new here, just thought I'd jump in quick. I'm an ornamental ironworker based in NYC, haven't ever seen a gun going on site with us or the structural guys. Been doing this 20 years, running jobs for about 15. Not actually a welder, but I do try to constantly educate myself and can usually keep up in the conversation. Stick ain't dyin too fast in the construction industry, don't think it ever will. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.