Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

S.s Mig ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.s Mig ?

if i want to MIG SS do i still back gas with strait argon, even if i MIG with try-mix ? or should i be back gassing with try-mix?
    looking to try a little MIG on SS and want to know what all i need for best results. i have strait argon, strait Co2, and an empty 80 tank. so i was planing on filling with try-mix for SS and started thinking about what would be best for my back gas?????
    so whats the best option ???
    thanks guys

ONLY pure argon or nitrogen.or you will get poor results.

Comment

Tri Mix

The best Gas to MIG Stainless is a Tri Mix 90% Helium 7.5% Argon 2.5% Co2
      For TIG Pure Argon
      I don't think nitrogen would work for either process.
      Last edited by Glenn B; 05-28-2008, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Just a little clarification....while the 'best' gas for welding stainless is a 90/7.5/2.5 blend, this is true for short arc only. for higher voltages and thicker materials, blends like 90%AR/8%CO2/2%O2, and for pulse welding, 66.1%AR/33%He/.9%CO2 work very well.
        As for Tig stainless, look into a Hydrogen blend of 2% for thinner material and 5% for heavier. This applies only to 300series stainless steels. The Hydrogen is a reducing gas that increases fluidity in the puddle, reduces oxides, increases heat input for faster travel speeds, and the appearance is beautiful. I will see if I can find my camera and post a pic or two of some of my tig welds using an Argon/Hydrogen Blend.
        As for purging...pure argon works pretty much the best.
        another option to purging is using a backing paste. The only problem with using something like Solar B flux, is cleaning it afterwards is a bit of a pain.

Hope it helped.

Comment

For your mig (MM 135--Short Arc) tri-mix is the best gas for welding.

100% Argon is the best gas for purging (back gassing).

Comment

thanks SundownIII & sparx.

Comment

I found an older picture on my computer of a tig weld done with 2% Hydrogen on 316 plate. notice the heat affected zone is pretty small compared to those of argon welds. I did a 'speed' test with an outside corner weld on 3/16 ss plate, no filler, 20 seconds of arc/travel time. The pure argon got me about 4" of travel, the 2% H2 blend got about 6-1/2" of travel, and the 5% H2 blend, I ran out of material (10" long coupons) so I figured I would get about 11 or 12" of travel with the 5% H2/Argon.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.