Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spoolguns

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoolguns

I have been reading some of the posts on the Miller 180 vs the Hobart 210. Leaning toward the Hobart due to the higher top end. Going to purchase a spoolgun when I order the welder. Here's is my question, both of the spoolguns the Miller spoolmate 100 and the Hobart DP-3035 both look the same. Is one better than the other. Which one is the beefer of the two.

The biggest difference is the way they hook up. The 3035 hooks up via a lug for the hot wire, the hose and the pin connector on the front panel. The spoolmate 100 hooks up where the gun was. You have to remove the whole gun assembly and replace it with the spoolgun hookup. Prob about the same amount of time for both to hook up. The biggest difference is you can leave the 3035 hooked up all the time. The guns are almost the same, and most of the parts numbers match each one.
    The Iron Man 210 should have the lug like my MM185.
    The Handler 210 you have to remove the gun. Forgot there are two 210's...Bob
    Last edited by aametalmaster; 05-19-2008, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I wonder why the Hobart spoolgun costs more? if both appear to be just about the same gun..

Comment

I wondered the same thing since i paid over 400 bucks for mine 8 years ago...Bob

Comment

My Hobart DP-3035 plugs into the gun port on the HH210; they have to be swapped completely. I think it's the Spoolmate 3035 that is different on machines like the MM210/212.

EDIT: I missed your edit, oh well, it's clarified now...

Comment

Yup. You put it in better words Mac. I did forget there was 2 welders with the same number...Bob

Comment

Took the time to really read the difference between the Miller and Hobart spoolguns. Looks like the Miller comes with a 12 foot gun and Hobart comes with a 20 foot gun. Thats a pretty big difference in length. Still leaning toward the Hobart 210 Handler with a spoolgun. Looks like more for the money..Any thoughts...
              Last edited by gearhead; 05-20-2008, 05:34 AM. Reason: add information

Comment

Something's not right there, me thinks. Check again. The Miller Spoolmate 3035 should be a 20-footer, just like the Hobart, I think. The bigger Miller Spoolmatic guns are available in 15- or 30-footers.

Comment

Mac, Spoolmate 100, not 3035. Smaller, cheaper gun.

I'd go with the HH210/sg. Go for the biggest unit you can afford. You can turn down the 210, but you can't turn up the 180 over...180.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead View Post
                    Still leaning toward the Hobart 210 Handler with a spoolgun. Looks like more for the money..Any thoughts...
                    That would have my vote...Bob

Comment

I went into the local Miller shop and talked to the sales rep about the Miller 180 VS Hobart 210. The sale rep stated I should go with the Miller do to heavier internals. We talked about the possible need for the 210's extra power and I was told the 180 was enough to do all the jobs the 210 was capable of doing. Still think the 210 is the way to go on this, just as it was stated you can turn a 210 down if you need to, but you can't turn a 180 up...

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead View Post
                        I went into the local Miller shop and talked to the sales rep about the Miller 180 VS Hobart 210. The sale rep stated I should go with the Miller do to heavier internals. We talked about the possible need for the 210's extra power and I was told the 180 was enough to do all the jobs the 210 was capable of doing. Still think the 210 is the way to go on this, just as it was stated you can turn a 210 down if you need to, but you can't turn a 180 up...
                        The LWS may be saying that because he does not sell Hobart Handler 210 welders. Millers will have better drive (all metal) than Hobarts. I'd rather have more power of the Hobart Handler 210. Also, have 7 voltage taps on the HH210 will be easier to dial in the arc.

Comment

I have used my HH210 on some very heavy stuff and had no issues. It will just about keep up with the MM210 and will weld smoother in most cases. I ran my MM and HH side by side. When I want to weld something, I'll usually reach for the HH first...sorry Miller. So, since this HH is amost keeping up with the MM210, I really doubt the MM180 would keep up with the HH. If you get the HH, you will not be unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by DDA52 View Post
                            Mac, Spoolmate 100, not 3035. Smaller, cheaper gun...
                            Thanks, Don. I would not have expected that. The nice thing about a spoolgun is the ability to get further out from the machine, in addition to its aluminum capabilities, but if the price is right, for those that need what it CAN still do, I suppose it fills a narrow niche.

Comment

Smaller as in shorter...I should have said shorter. IIRC, the gun head is much the same if not the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.