Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

flux core mig welding wire

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flux core mig welding wire

I am going to rebuild 2 utility trailers. I will be using flux core wire because it is windy outside where I will be working.I am wondering what size of welding wire would be best suited in my Millermatic 175 welder. I have bought .035 wire , but was told that I should not be using any more than .030 wire because of the output of that small welder.
    I would appreciate the input of the Discussion Forum on this.
    I am fairly new to mig welding.:

Either .035" or .030" is very fine for what you have in mind. The MM175 is small for a 240V machine, but it is still a 240V machine with plenty of power for either of those wires.

If you are repairing thin tubing, say 16-ga. wall thickness, it will be slightly easier with the .030" wire, but still doable with the .035".

Keep us posted!

Perhaps I should add that I've personally owned and used a MM175 for several years with dozens of spools of both wire sizes.
    Last edited by MAC702; 05-05-2008, 06:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

at my job we have a roll of .045 in our MM175 and it works just fine. It welds 1/4" steel at the recomended setting with out any problems.

Comment

Working...
      X
      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.