No announcement yet.

Tube Notching

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW!!! That Big Bear chopper is a mess!!!
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

WOW, that is insane! Glad he walked away.

Originally posted by Blue Collar Moto View Post
      http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2577...bI?vhost=rides
      Just one example. If your making a kitchen table or a picture frame then who cares. If someone making structural products like cages or motorcycle frames etc, don't do a good job they are going to get sued eventually. May even kill someone. Not a place to be cutting corners. .o2
      Proud owner of a MM180!

Comment

Grind them!
        "If you build it, they will come!"

Comment

i just don't understand how some one could weld on some thing like that if they did not know what they were doing ?? its not like they were saving time or $$, they just did a sh ity job. if you are not going to, or able to do it right, just don't do it. no matter what the $$$. some jobs just should not be done if you don't have the skill to do it right.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Collar Moto View Post
            http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2577...bI?vhost=rides
            Just one example. If your making a kitchen table or a picture frame then who cares. If someone making structural products like cages or motorcycle frames etc, don't do a good job they are going to get sued eventually. May even kill someone. Not a place to be cutting corners. .o2
            Obviously bad welding. They probably learned how to weld by watching Youtube or OCC.

Griff

Comment

I agree with you and most others, grind it back. I think there's more people out there that either don't understand welding fully or just don't know the proper way to fit tubing, but when i do car and motorcycle suspension and frame work, i know that some one's life may depend on those welds so i take every step i can to ensure nice thick walls (the best i can anyway) and make sure that the fit-up is snug enough that i can't slide the filler rod into the gaps before welding. And i even pre-heat all my materials after fit-up and before welding for extra "good measure". Plus when you're dealing with some very out of position welds where you can't reach the foot pedal and must use lift-arc this keeps you from having to run a high enough amperage to start the puddle on cold metal which usually ends up being a tad too much heat towards the end of the bead forcing you to work faster, so preheating does make it easier as well in some instances.
              Dynasty 200DX
              Hobart Handler 135
              Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
              Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
              Hypertherm Powermax 45
              Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Comment

always clean up the tubing after you have notched it. I have always cleaned the adjoining tube with a scotch brite pad to eliminate any contamination of the weld. Hope this helps.
                Kenny Compton
                Cuttin,Grindin, Weldin, nutten better
                KCRacecars@yahoo.comsigpic

Comment

JMR tube notcher

I'm helping a friend out with his sailboat projects. We needed a good tubing notcher to complete the railings, and we decided on this one made by JMR. At first it seemed a bit pricey, but now that we've coped everything, I've forgotten about the price tag. Very nice... especially since we split the cost.

We used it with my Milwaukee 1/2" drill motor and the material notched was 1.25" x .083 wall 316 stainless steel tubing.

http://www.vansantent.com/tube_copin...nes/TN1000.htm

I chose this one because it 1) looked beefier than the other choices, 2) has a wider angle spectrum, and 3) can be clamped to the material (i.e. used in the field, if necessary, or on awkward, prebent sections.)

Worked like a champ.
                  Attached Files
                  Maxstar 200DX
                  Maxstar 300DX
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Passport
                  Spectrum 701
                  LMSW-52 spot welder

Comment

Working...
                  X