Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making a trans cross member ?

hello all.

i have a 97 s10. i am putting long tube headers on it. the stock trans cross member will not correctly handle the drivers side pipe. so i am going to make a new cross member. i have some 1"ish .125" ish (i have the messure it) square pipe. i want the cross memeber to go over the exhaust. so a straight piece will not do it. i'm going to be over the pipe and under the trans, a good amount of fab'n going on. my question, do you think this pipe will handle it, and any tips ? thanx

pics later

we used 1/4 box tubing 2x2 on a 10 second big block car and it holds up
    miller 330 abp
    everlast 225lx
    airco 250a tig
    hobart handler 125 mig
    o/a torches

Comment

I used 2x2x3/16 square tubing on a '57 chevy pickup with a 327/4spd
      Easy and cheap, and it looks nice too!
      Jeff

Comment

Summit sells a generic trans crossmember and it's a fairly small pc of tube, so you probably don't need much.

-James

Comment

i personally wouldnt use anything smaller than 2x2 3/16, ive made three different tranny xmembers for toyota trucks to get rid of the big xmember that hangs below the frame, havent had a problem with it.

Comment

guys, i have been checking threads about making a trans crossmember for my toyota truck. i wanted to know how did it go?
            Last edited by thegrunch12; 01-15-2010, 09:55 PM.

Comment

I have used 1 1/4" .120 wall round tubing before, no problems 11.90 3400# El Camino . Darrell

Comment

Working...
              X