Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for Andy

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wondering what gage the material is in this picture. Also, I can't make out what part it is but it looks pretty intricate.
    Attached Files

Comment

That pic is a part of the front crossmember/motormount area and the main frame part that you see here is .120 wall.

A

Comment

These pics show a trend I've been seeing in that welds are getting
        smaller. Seemed to start seeing it more and more that people
        are using really tiny beads. I know that most apps are "overwelded"
        but still it looks a little extreme sometimes.
        Andy or anybody else have comments on this "trend"
        if it actually is one?
        Dave P.

Comment

Originally posted by FM117 View Post
          These pics show a trend I've been seeing in that welds are getting
          smaller. Seemed to start seeing it more and more that people
          are using really tiny beads. I know that most apps are "overwelded"
          but still it looks a little extreme sometimes.
          Andy or anybody else have comments on this "trend"
          if it actually is one?
          Dave P.
          I'm not in this line of work, but they stress the same thing in process pipe welding, and I would guess because of the HAZ.

Looks like the roll cages are mig welded and all the critical front end and and other "hook" up points, don't know the proper terms, are pulse/tig arc, hence the smaller/thinner welds, is this correct?

Nice "jigs" to. Man, you've got a ton of money tied up in the aluminum jigs alone!

Comment

Andy,

What do the teams do with the equipment that you switch out for them. Do the teams lease the machines from Miller or buy them. I know you said you were switching out equipment for teams right now. I know they need the latest machines. Do you all auction them off to the public or how does that work? i would like to see about possibly buying one of those used machines. I know they have some use but they look well cared for.

Thanks,

Tau

Comment

Tau,

Good question.

The distributor that services that team gets first shot at purchasing them. They may take them all or just some of them. I then offer them to the rest of the dealers in this area and then if there is still anything left, it goes to whoever wants them.
              I'm responsible for just over 1100 welders between all my sponsored teams. They get swapped out every 2 years. I do half of my teams each year so about 500+ used machines hit the market from me alone. They must be sold because that is part of the money I have to use to purchase the new machines going back in.
              So chances are good that I get some machines to sell to the general public but you can't be in a hurry 'cause sometimes the dealers take all they can get their hands on.

Andy

Comment

Thanks for sharing the pix. Some days I wish I was living in the States. Looks like petrolhead heaven to an outsider.

Comment

Andy,

Being two years old, how does the selling price compare to a new machine? What kinds of machines are you replacing?

Thanks,

Tau

Comment

It varies a little based on ser# but on average it's about 45% off normal list price.

We replace:
                    Syncrowaves 200 and 250s
                    Dynastys 200-300
                    all types of Mig machines
                    Spectrum 375 and 625 plasma
                    Maxstar 200s

Andy

Comment

Andy,

Just wanted to make sure you got my PM.

THanks,

Les

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.