GTAW welding - puddle fizzes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake clean is the problem

I had the same exact problem when I was using brake clean to clean oil off of new steel. I discovered when I used mineral spirits or a water soluble cleaner the problem went away. One day I was out of mineral spirits and I used brake clean and the problem came back. Brake clean gets into the steel and any welding process will cause the expanding gases to blow out the weld puddle.
    Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 210 3035 Spool gun
    Millermatic Passport
    Blue Star 185
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38

Comment

I would think mineral spirits would cause the problem, since its a petroleum product and leaves a residue. Now that you mention it, i think i had a problem with brake cleaner causing contamination too. I now use 100% isopropyl alcohol or in rare cases acetone and i have no more issues.
      Dynasty 200 DX
      Millermatic 175
      Spectrum 375
      All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Definitely skip the noxious chemicals, a little emery cloth will go a long way in cleaning the tubing. As for plugging the vent holes, you have a few options... To keep the environment out, you can use a rubber plug or a pop rivet.

John
        John

Millermatic DVI
        Millermatic 375 xtreme
        And a brand new Syncro 200!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Laiky View Post
          I would think mineral spirits would cause the problem, since its a petroleum product and leaves a residue. Now that you mention it, i think i had a problem with brake cleaner causing contamination too. I now use 100% isopropyl alcohol or in rare cases acetone and i have no more issues.
          Isn't isopropyl alcohol 30% water??

Griff

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post
            Isn't isopropyl alcohol 30% water??

Griff
            Griff,
            Depends on the solution. I use either 70 or 90 percent for my cleaning, so it would be either 30 or 10 percent water. Stay away from heavy hydrocarbon cleaners, and the light ones arent good for your health. Isopropyl is just fine for 4130 and mild steel, used and accepted byt aircraft guys after years of use and testing on steel, stainless, aluminum, but NOT magnesium. Hydrocarbon cleaners have been linked to hydrogen embrittlement of 4130 when using the Tig, Mig or Arc process.
            -Aaron
            "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
            Miller Dynasty 200DX
            Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
            Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
            Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

I get 100% isoproply from an aircraft mechanic friend. It's good stuff!
              Dynasty 200 DX
              Millermatic 175
              Spectrum 375
              All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Just for the conversation, I do not use hydrocarbon cleaners as they are usually found to be contaminants.
                I do however, use denatured alcohol and if necessary, sometimes use acetone.

Thanks
                Griff

I just noticed that I am now a SENIOR member.
                Last edited by griff01; 08-21-2008, 07:13 PM. Reason: Promotion

Comment

Hmmm... I've always used acetone and haven't really had a problem. Guess I'll experiment with IPA.
                  Scott Rhea
                  It's not what you build...
                  it's how you build it
                  Izzy's Custom Cages

Comment

are u getting a little gust of air thats pushing the gas away from the weld???
                    i weld with mydoor wide open and if i get some wind my welds do the same thing.

(sorry if someone allready asked, didnt read all replys)

Comment

pissing and fissing

well 1st off u dont need a gas lens just a normal gas cup baecause lenses give more gas where u dont want it in this case . so now what u want to do is place the filler rod over the hole then start the arc and melt the rod not so u weld but more plug the hole

Comment

Working...
                      X